PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Classical gas

18 year old Russian designer Yakov Panov has just released a 1/50 scale model of a generic 1950s American coupe and has featured it as the subject of a model customizing contest at Paper Punk, a VK paper modelling community.

My entry is this classic Chevy gasser that would have been seen frequently at drag strips from the late 50s through the late 70s. The model has been recolored and decorated with typical dragster markings. I opened the rear wheel wells to accommodate the new racing slick tires with mag wheels. I reduced the size of the kit's front tire and sized a steel wheel image to fit. I fashioned a hood scoop and added the logo of the drag strip I frequented as a teenager. With Photoshop I drew up headers to fit inside the wheel wells. The front bench seat was reduced in length to bucket seat size. The rear seat was left out entirely. I borrowed the roof from another free download model and sized/colored it to fit. The front bumper has been left off. The front axle is fashioned from a paper Q-Tip stem.

The model looks pretty small for 1/50 scale, so I recalculated it against the wheelbase of a '56 Chevy, and came up with a scale of 1/65, slightly larger than the Koolwheelz dragsters.

Yakov has just released a new model: a very nice looking 1/50 1956 Chevy Nomad wagon with a full interior, fold down tailgate, and including 4 surfboards, with a nice California beach scene display base. The price is 200 rubles, which is just a few dollars and change. I don't believe he has a Paypal account yet, but his english is very good, so I'm sure if anyone is interested in the model, something could be arranged. Here's the link if anyone wants a looks see: https://vk.com/oncopaper
Attached Thumbnails
Classical gas-0810171559.jpg   Classical gas-0811171054.jpg   Classical gas-0811171055.jpg   Classical gas-0811171106.jpg  

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 08-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Famoso, cool. Keep saying I'm going to get over there for the reunion some day.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
suggest to him that he also sell his designs through ecardmodels, that nomad looks great
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A very nice model, Don. As you know, I have recently got diverted from some armor and airplane works in progress to build some approximately 1/50 (1/49) automobiles [and the 1/47 Automovile Moderne], so this caught my attention.

Don (too)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
We're in sync, Don. I'm torn which to do next: another recolored SD tank (Tiger I), or a 1938 Delahaye 165 Figoni et Falaschi by MiB. It's a 1/100 model, but that's a bit too small for me so I enlarged it to 1/50. I had to move some parts around, and now it completely fills a letter sized page. There's no directions, and there are a few parts that I don't know what to do with yet, but I think I can figure it out. It's a beautiful car - rolling art.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That Delahaye would fit nicely with the Automovile Modern, which, the more I look at it, seems to be a stylized Packard rather than a Graham-Paige.

Are there model of the 1936 Cord 810 and the 1935 Auburn Speedster out there that can be scaled to 1/50?

Don (tt)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
It's a beautiful car - rolling art.
Indeed it is, quite a handsome thing.