PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
Is there a paper model of the The Piranha "Spy Car" from the Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Is there a paper model of the The Piranha "Spy Car" from the Man From U.N.C.L.E?
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
It looks like there were a few plastic models of it around, but I've not seen anything in paper or card.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Th...w=1280&bih=885

Although I was a keen follower of the man from U.N.C.L.E. series on TV, I certainly didn't see all the episodes. I can't say that I remember the Piranha Spy car though. Did it appear often?

Interesting design concept though and I wondered if it still exists?

Seems there were several built ... Piranha & Man from U.N.C.L.E. Car - Where Are They Now?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
It looks like there were a few plastic models of it around, but I've not seen anything in paper or card.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Th...w=1280&bih=885

Although I was a keen follower of the man from U.N.C.L.E. series on TV, I certainly didn't see all the episodes. I can't say that I remember the Piranha Spy car though. Did it appear often?

Interesting design concept though and I wondered if it still exists?

Seems there were several built ... Piranha & Man from U.N.C.L.E. Car - Where Are They Now?
I have seen a plastic model of it several times. Think it was reissued last year. The car only appeared in 5 episodes of the last season of the Man From U.N.C.L.E and 1 episode of the Girl From U.N.C.L.E. I always thought it was a COOL car. I've been toying with the idea of making some custom Man From U.N.C.L.E. 6 inch action figures. A matching car would be great to have but it would be a lot of work to 3D scan a plastic model, create the files needed, enlarge it to 1/12th scale and 3D print one. I'd love to learn how to do it but I'm retired now and it would be pricey to get into 3D printing. The shape of the car would probably be hard to reproduce in paper too.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The Man From Uncle car was reissued by Round 2 from the old AMT molds last year in a couple of different versions. The Piranha drag car version was reissued a couple of years ago. Think its in the Don Garlits Museum in Florida. There was one build as a sports racer for SCCA and was restored and was at the Monterey Historic Races a couple of years. Gene Winfield build the tv car and the street cars when he was running the AMT Speed & Custom shop here in Phoenix. The Where Are They Now link gives a lot of info on them.

I saw the Piranha at Willow Run Raceway in Oklahoma City in 1965. I was there as part of the crew for Bobby Langley's Scorpion Top Fuel car were we running a 8 car booked in fuel show as the headliners with the Piranha making exhibition runs. Don't think it ever made a full pass. The property had a small creek running through it with the drag strip and stock body pits on one side and the hot car pits on the other with a small bridge. There was enough of a dip for the bridge that some of the dragsters had a problem with it. Other problem the pits weren't paved, they were just rock chip laid down and rolled. The Piranha was so low that it was scrapping going across it and picking up rock chips in the front air intake. The first run it attempted at about 1/3 track the chips were getting shaken loose and blowing back into the driver's face and he had to shut down. Later that night they pretty much hand carried it across the bridge and then pushed it down the track to fire it (this was still in the push start days). The driver (IIRC) at the time was Connie Swingle just did a few little burnouts but didn't do a pass, just so the fans could see it fired off.

Last edited by whulsey; 09-02-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB

Ed Straker's car (UFO TV series) had a very similar shape and look.
Although it was one of many scratch built fiberglass cars for the show.

If you painted it silver and left off the roof vent...maybe...

maybe not.

I never watched Man From Uncle or owned that model.

Although I do remember that Piranha Drag Car...either I or my Father had that model.
And I didn't know Gene Winfield did the car for MFU.

Last edited by airdave; 09-03-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Why is it, in these types of TV shows, that car chases suddenly happen only on dirt roads and through the woods to Grandma's house?
LOL I mean, they just left JFK airport, and suddenly they are in the backwoods of Kentucky!

And apparently just driving a spy car makes your enemy a bad shot! lol

The gadgets in this car are kind of crazy.
How the driver is able to find anything is beyond me.
The rear smoke just served to help the villains follow the car!
And the rockets just fill the car with smoke and for some unknown reason, knock out the driver!

And...whats with the caped bad guy?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM

I know what you mean AirDave about the show and the bad guys. I loved the show as a kid but its hard to watch now. The car gadgets were kind of wacky. I think you had to open the gull wing doors to fire the rockets from a pocket in the actual door. Some shows from that time are still watchable and enjoyable but trying to watch these again has put me to sleep several times.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:16 PM

dammit...I hate you guys...

SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE NOW?!

its funny...Corgi Toys did put out a Man from Uncle diecast.
The THRUSH BUSTER Oldsmobile.

But they did not do a "Spy car" (Piranha)
Maybe they didn't get the rights.

Husky Toy put out a very small scale diecast Spy Car in Man from Uncle themed blister packaging.
Corgi later acquired the casting and released it in their Corgi Juniors line.
Its a pretty poor looking model though.

anyway...
I couldn't pass this one by.
I'm a sucker for movie and tv cars, even if I am not a big fan of Man from Uncle.
Only ever seen two or three episodes in my life.
And the recent remake movie was pretty lame.

But, I am a fan of Corgi, Dinky and such
And I do like actual (non CGI) custom cars built for TV and Movies.
AND...I do like anything by Gene Winfield!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Hee hee! I'm not a great M.F.U. fan either Dave, but you gotta admit it's an attractive looking car, even if it was more a mock up than proper like.

Beady eyes will be peering at the Koolwheelz pages in anticipation. Star cars or Specialz?
Old 09-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I don't remember why I didn't get to watch many of the episodes, some kind of scheduling conflict, but my vague memories were favorable. But, I don't remember the car. Must be getting old
Google Adsense