PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Hi,

Here is my prototype 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass made with Blender, Pepakura and Adobe Illustrator. It looks rough because it is made out of normal printer paper (very thin) to see how the model fitted together and I used acrylic paint to cover the body lines, which the printer paper did not like. You get the idea though. The car looks foreshortened, but that is just the camera, as I used a good blueprint for the model. I also tried to simplify the model so it was not fiddly - for example, the side of the car is all one piece. Scale is approx. 1/18th.

it took a weekend to put together (not working very hard) and is just a mule to correct any glaring issues (there were many). For example, the front bumper needs redoing and much better detailing / build. I will make some changes and build the next one out of thicker coloured card.

Ian B.

Last edited by Gearhead; 10-09-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
that looks better then my models are you going to color it and release it some day?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The late 60s and early 70s Olds Cutlass is a favorite among musclecar fans
and anyone who likes cars of that era.

However, the '68 is the most awkward looking front end of all the Cutlasses
and not the most favorite version.
'69 and '70 are probably the more aesthetic.
What made you choose that one?
Its definitely a more unique choice for a model.

Your hood is inverted....the center "bulge" is actually an indent on this model,
with a smaller bulge further back on the hood.
And the 442 had a slightly bigger bulge at the rear I think.

Heres a good angle of the 68 Cutlass hood.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That hood being so 'unique' makes this a tough model to do in paper. I think you captured the lines pretty well. The flaring fenders above the wheel wells can be handled with the graphics, so I think you are off to a great start
Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
ford capri on steroids???
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The Ford Capri was made after this, and actually modeled on the American Ford Mustang.

I agree, the hood shape might not be worth the effort.
The indent is shallow, and the bulge is not very high.
You could get away with graphic art...light and shadows
...and keep the model a lot less complicated.
That would be my approach, anyway.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
To bad its not a convertible with a Hurst Four speed sifter on the floor Learned to drive in one, Red with white top, real gas eater
Miles
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Michael, they are certainly not better than your models, you make models that others do not make and from what I understand you design with a drawing programme and judgement the way models used to be designed. I used to do that as well, I just got tired of making 10 protoypes before getting something right

Airdave, you are correct and that is the benefit of a test build. I realized after building that I used one blueprint for the side view and a different blueprint for the front / rear. The car is too short - it looks like a pony car (long hood, short trunk) whereas these bodies are more balanced. I will go back to the drawing board and modify with the later blueprint and redo. Thanks very much for that great picture - that really shows the hood detail clearly.

I chose the '68 Cutlass because I thought the front was a challenge and I have never seen this model done before. Also I need to work out how to get the flares in, while keeping the model simple. This GM body style can also be applied / tweaked to Pontiac GTO and Chevelle /\Buick without too much work if successful. I was originally thinking about a 442, but that seemed too obvious.

I have more time now for hobbies than before, so hopefully can work on these for fun. I like working with coloured card / paper for consistent colour. Also, the problem with Blender is you can design a model, export to Pepekura and the Adobe and build an exact model with lots of fiddly bits that will drive you nuts cutting out. I want to find a way to mix old school and new school.

I also don't mind using short-cuts. Often for wheels I will use polystyrene for the inner wheel wall because I hate building wheels most of all We'll see how the next build turn out.

Ian B.