PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Mini Yamaha MT-10

This will be a retrospective view of my MT-10 build, which I have finally completed. A long time ago, Laughsplace started a thread reporting on his (or her?) plans to build an upscaled (150%) model, and showed the first section completed. I was looking forward to comparing experiences, but sadly we have heard no more since January. When I started this project back in May I held off announcing it, in the hope that Laughsplace would resurrect that thread. As time went on laziness took over, and I never got my own thread started.

As usual I have chosen to construct the model at a scale of 1:14, to match all the rest of my motorcycle models, so started by scaling to 40% of the original, and printing the first few pages on ordinary copier paper.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-01.jpg

I have learnt with the recent Yamaha offerings that the hardest parts to get to fit are the frame and engine, so this is where I start. The frame is very similar to that for the YZF-R1M from 2015, so the experience of making that helped a lot with the new model.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-02.jpg

The engine is not just similar, but virtually identical, to that for the YZF-R1M.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-03.jpg

It had two problems:

First, the cylinders are separate boxes (parts 9-11) stacked together but no account is taken of paper thickness, so the resultant assembly overflows the length of the cylinder head. I shuffled all the bits around in Inkscape to make a single more complex box with an overall wrapper, which fitted a lot better.

Second, the timing cover (parts 75-78) doesn't fit correctly against the end of the cylinder block - it is too tall, and has a tapering section which does not correspond with the sloping part of the block. I did a slightly more sophisticated modification than on the YZF-R1M (hacking off a bit with a sharp knife). The original is on the left, my modification on the right.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-04.jpg

After that, it went together pretty well.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-05.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-06.jpg

Happily a dry fit against the frame showed no serious problems, so I could continue...
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.40 MB
That's tiny AlanG.

The Vmax was my first paperbuilt ever, there it went wrong with me
Now I only built in paper.....

Fred
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 AM

Hi Fred

Mini Yamaha MT-10-vmax.jpg

Snap! (Ignore the funny colours - that was my camera playing up.)

Alan
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 AM

On to the rear arm. Once again this is very similar to that for the YZF-R1M, but the individual components have been reworked to make it much easier to construct. I chose to combine the chain and chainwheel into a single part, as I was sure that the "L" cross-sectioned chain as supplied would be impossible to make neatly in my scale.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-07.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-08.jpg

Now the three assemblies so far could be joined, happily with no problems.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-09.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-10.jpg
Old 10-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking Good :-)
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 AM

The radiator, again identical to the YZF-R1M's except for the addition of indicator and marker lights and mounts, which on the YZF-R1M are part of the rear-view mirrors.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-11.jpg

I made the mistake of following the subassembly instructions and gluing the lights to the radiator straight away - in the final assembly sequence they are kept separate and only added much later. This left them very vulnerable, and caused a good number of naughty words as I continually knocked them off.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-12.jpg

The front part of the exhaust system is identical to that on the YZF-R1M, which caused me fit problems, so I went straight to the reworked versions done before, and all was well.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-13.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-14.jpg

The cooling system and exhaust pipes intertwine rather, so it is difficult to find a satisfactory assembly sequence, but I did manage not to make quite such a mess of it as on the YZF-R1M.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-15.jpg
Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM

Hello, It's me again...

We come to the saddle and "seat cowl". The cowl has a lot of back-to-back lamination with no allowance for paper thickness, so is rather tricky to get neat.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-16.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-17.jpg

The cowl and rear part of the frame then go together and attach to the main frame. It took a bit of pressure to get the two parts of the frame to come together, but they did so in the end.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-18.jpg

Next in the assembly sequence is the tail light cluster, but I chose to leave it separate for the moment as it would be very vulnerable to clumsy handling.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-19.jpg
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 AM

The fuel tank involves some pretty complex shaping and folding, but came together quite well.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-20.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-21.jpg

The tank and saddle could now be added to the growing model.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-22.jpg
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

I now turned my attention to the front end, to do what comes first of all in the assembly description. The front cowl is very complex, incorporationg the cowling itself together with air intakes, aerodynamic wings, headlights and instrument cluster.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-23.jpg

It is not apparent from the photograph, but some of these parts showed considerable warping, and proved impossible to put together satisfactorily. I put them aside to have some light relief making the front forks and handlebars.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-24.jpg

Coming back to the cowling, I remade the worst bits, using the first-time experience to adjust the assembly sequence to make it more manageable. Then I forgot to photograph the result before fitting it all to the front of the model(!)

Mini Yamaha MT-10-25.jpg

After all that, the side covers were a breeze.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-26.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-27.jpg
Old 10-29-2017, 03:42 AM

We are getting there. Just a few odds and ends to go. First the various footrests and pedals, quite tiny and complicated but eventually succumbing to persistence.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-28.jpg

Front brakes and mudguard/fender.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-29.jpg

Now for the wheels. The hubs and spokes are quite complex, but nothing like as difficult as on the YZF-R1M. Unfortunately much of the detail gets hidden by the brake discs, but heigh ho! I don't like the recent style of three-part plug-together tyres, so drew new "petal" parts and wheel rims.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-30.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-31.jpg
Google Adsense