PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aston Martin DB9

Hello All,

I thought that I'd like to share the project that I have been working on recently. My Brother loves the Aston DB9 and so I thought that I'd make him one. Having seen Cornell's fantastic rendition I promptly down loaded it and started to build.
Keeping in mind I'm a noob at this, this only being my second Card model (1'st being a wonderful concorde) but I am an experienced plastic kit modeller.
Any way the first thing that struck me as I started with the wheels was the quality of the design and execution that Cornell achieved. I really must take my hat off to him, it is a beautiful thing to know that as long as I make my cuts straight and true, everything will fit perfectly. Thank you Cornell.
I was a little surprised not to see more builds of this model but as I got into the build I found that for a newbie the instructions were a little vague but with patience everything could be worked out.
So I thought, and I hope that Cornell does not mind, I would do somewhat of a tutorial of how I built this excellent model and maybe fill in some of the blanks.

I started with the wheels as mentioned and put them together as per the instructions except part no's M46 which I placed at the other end of M38 and used only 1 of on each wheel.

Although not visible in this picture M46 is behind the brake disc.

Next the Chassis and wheel wells, everything went together well here with no major issues apart from for the life of me I could not figure out what to do with part no M10, I finally figured that you fold it up to make the strakes of the rear splitter, I just left it off 'till later at this stage.

Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Aston Martin DB9

Continuing the build...

Complete the wheel wells, fold up the supporting boxes and glue in place.

Next the interior support

Chassis completed (almost) with the tops of the front wheel wells removed

And I almost forgot... M10 folded and ready to add to the rear of the chassis. I think that I'm using slightly thinner paper (100gsm) because M10 is slightly smaller than M9 when all folded up. I am going to have a think about this and will probably add it in the final stages.

More to come...
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
Looking good so far! It took me a couple of minutes to realize which model this was; for the benefit of other confused folks:

ASTON MARTIN DBR-9 (1:18) Paper Model
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I look forward to following this. I've got them downloaded and I've seen some very nice finished model pictures, but I haven't seen a build thread yet. Looks good so far
Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 PM

I bookmarked that site the second I saw it, that aston is really amazing but I still prefer women who wear red lipstick
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthulhu View Post
Looking good so far! It took me a couple of minutes to realize which model this was; for the benefit of other confused folks:

ASTON MARTIN DBR-9 (1:18) Paper Model
Sorry my bad, I should have included the link. Thanks Chthulhu
Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Aston Martin DB9

Ok on to the interior.

This caused me quite a bit of head-scratching to figure out exactly how everything came together.
Starting with M11 the floor pan it is pretty simple however in this picture I have folded the 'wings' by the dash in the wrong direction, these are designed to support the dash and give it the correct angles.

Also here you can see the centre console M12-M13 which is straight forward. Centre console slips in from underneath into the floorpan.
Here you see the door cards also, the bottom one I modified. This allows the cards to be fitted with the tabs on the outside and gives the rear of the floorpan definite structure

And completed floorpan with the seat
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Aston Martin DB9

The seat is, I consider, a masterpiece by Cornell. From a flat sheet to a 3D realistic looking seat, wow. I took it really slow here. Around the holes in the headrest I coloured black on the backside so that I didn't have to have the edges meeting giving the seat a more 3D look.
Basically starting at the top fold I slowly brought the edges together doing around 5mm to 1cm at a time.

The steering wheel I wanted to look more 3D so I pasted it onto 2mm card, carefully cut it out then soaked it in supaglue, carving it to it's final shape with a sharp scaple. The uncoloured bit is where the flappy paddle goes, I delaminated this before using the supaglue and will glue it on sett back.

And here we have the interior, with the couple of boxes added, the steerin wheel, the seat and the bonnet which I will describe next.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Aston Martin DB9

For the exterior I decided not to use tabs and butt join everything.
The bonnet is straight forward but fiddly, I took it really slow.
The instructions don't state it but part No's M26 & M27 paste in underneath the vent holes at the back and M28 & M29 the vent holes moving forward.
I would recommend blackening the back side of the vents before putting everything together just to make sure no white shows.

Here you see I left the tabs on parts G29 to make it easier then cut them away.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great, I've got this one but have been intimidated by it so far. Will follow you build with great interest.
Google Adsense