Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
His work is incredible, really incredible, I am left with wide-eyed, fantastic
Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Continuing

Thanks, guys!

The first pic is of parts 15-9 through 14 (and the starboard one completed) that make up one of the front armor plates. The 2nd pic is of my first attempt. Wasn’t happy with the way it was going as indicated in the pic. I didn’t like the look of the top Leading Edge (see oval) and texture needed to be added to the whole LE, as well (see arrows). I trashed it and went back to the drawing board.

Next 3 pics are closeups of the completed one. This piece also has another mod; the recessed panel (pic 64). Terrordron’s kit doesn’t have this panel but it is on the actual car.

I do a bit of embossing and debossing where I feel its needed or will enhance the overall look. The white piece with the triangular cut out in the first pic (62) is the debossing template. It’s printed at a slightly larger size to allow for the finished panel to sit just inside it. Hopefully this is a clear explanation. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-62.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-63.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-64.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-65.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-66.jpg  

Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM

The change is remarkable and the explanation is well understood. Now where that goes I have no idea ha. It looks great, I keep watching the advances. Batman is my favorite superhero, as a child I watched the series with Adam West, I think late 80 went the movie with Michael Keaton, 6 times I went to the cinema to see it. And all the sequels. Extraordinary work to the smallest detail.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Quick & Easy Deboss Tute

In case I was unclear about the last description of my debossing process, I threw this together and took some shots.

I do this after I score, cut, fold, edge color and any other finishing method. The point is to do this last, just before gluing and assembling the piece, thereby best maintaining your impression (less handling).

Trace your shape onto the backside of your piece with some carbon paper. I use my finest point burnisher for this.

With some low-tack painters tape, tape the template to the back of your piece, lining up your template with the carbon-transfered drawing.

Turn it over and burnish, starting with your largest burnishing tip, finishing with your smallest. If you want less detail, use less pressure and omit the smaller tip(s) burnishing. I want the whole area depressed so I burnish the entire area, not just the perimeter.

Carefully peel off the tape and you’re done.

Do this same process on the other side for embossing details (see pic 262 7).

You can reinforce your impression by filling-in/coating with CA. The inset panel serves as the filler here.

Hope this helps someone. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-67.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-68.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-69.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-70.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-71.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-72.jpg   Tumbler-262-7.jpg  

Last edited by skyman00; 05-09-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:16 AM

More progress

Another mod I forgot to mention was in pics 13 & 14. I placed two backing panels behind the rear wall and the 4 tanks. I cut out the tank outlines in the rear wall so that the tanks were recessed in their positions. I don’t have any pics of them from the inside. From the outside, you can see the embossed perimeter of them in pics 23, 24 & 27.

Pic 73 shows all the pieces that make the foremost armor plated wheel arm fairing along with a finished one.

One mod I did on these is I extended the width on the top LE edge to match the real car. See N1 for a shot of this area on the original model with my notation. This took up some of the visual space that the omitted part (12-19) occupied and made the panel lines flow better from the rear fairings to the forward ones. I then beveled the LEs of the fronts to match the rears, as is on the real thing. They are also modded with debossing on the lower sides, where the three buttons are.

74-76 show both sets of the fairings completed. The rest of the pics show them installed. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-73.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-n1.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-74.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-75.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-76.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-77.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-78.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-79.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-80.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-81.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Actually I still can not believe what I see in each post. I do not exaggerate (and colleagues can corroborate it) that the quality of their work is incredible, perfect, one looks, looks, looks and everything looks magnificent. And the text with the step by step just as great. I really believe that any praise is little. My regards
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Yes, most excellent indeed!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 PM

More progress

Thanks, guys!

Simulated grill mod.

I saw this next item on a 3D render of the Tumbler. I don’t think it’s on the real thing. But I liked it so I decided to incorporate this mod into the build. It’s subtle, discreet and tucked away; you won’t find it if you don’t know what to look for.

The first pic (82) shows all the pieces for this part (17-8 through 10) plus my modded pieces and two completed parts. The white strip with the double angled folds is the grill template. My mod shortened and angled the louvers; Terrordron's are long rectangles.

The first one I made has the vertical louvers canted at an angle (best shown in 85 & 86), as is on the real thing. T has you installing them straight in. After making the first one with them angled, I realized the grill was invisible. So I went back to T’s original instructions and installed them straight, a deviation I can live with. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-82.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-83.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-84.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-85.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-86.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-87.jpg  

Last edited by skyman00; 05-15-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM

More

The first pic (88) shows the actual part on the left and T’s version of it on the right. To me, this part has always stood out as an eye sore. From the beginning, I’ve always planned to change this part’s shape to emulate the real thing.

Test builds of this part are in the next 2 pics (89, 90).

The fourth pic is of all the pieces that make up this part, including the “grill”. I’m sure you few followers here saw this coming, especially with my last post. The white “cross” piece is the grill template.

The last pic is both L&R parts completed, before install. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-88.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-89.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-90.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-91.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-92.jpg  

Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Much better. You handled the curved join very nicely
Google Adsense