PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Tumbler

It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted a build here. I return with this one.

Vehicle background (Batman Wikia):

The Tumbler is a prototype armored tank designed as a bridging vehicle for the military, including weaponry and the ability to boost into a rampless jump. It has a pair of machine guns mounted in the nose of the car between the front wheels. In "Attack" mode, the driver's seat moves to the center of the car, and the driver is repositioned to lie face-down with his head in the center section between the front wheels. This serves two main purposes: first, it provides more substantial protection with the driver shielded by multiple layers of armor plating. Second, the low-down, centralized driving position makes extreme precision maneuvers easier to perform, while lying prone reduces the risk of injury a driver faces when making these maneuvers. Other devices included:
  • Six rear flaps to assist brakes
  • Twin forward-firing machine guns
  • Rocket launcher
  • Landing hook to Sprung landing stabilization
  • Integrated fire-extinguishing system
  • Integrated safety connection to gasoline control
  • Vector-controlled jet engine on back of car for quick boosts/"rampless" jumps
  • Stealth mode, which turns off the car's lights and cuts the engine. The vehicle is powered by an electric motor, making it very hard to find in the dark
  • Aft deployed explosive mines
  • Front of car is heavily armored, so the car can ram as a practical offensive attack, and also protects the driver while in the prone driving position/"Attack" mode
  • Both front wheels can eject when the vehicle is damaged to form the Batpod
It’s also interesting to read the back story on the construction of, the capabilities and the lengths the actual movie cars (I think 3, total) were put through. The desert camo ones are cosmetically different (not just the paint), but equally cool.

The model and build:

This is Terrordron’s Tumbler. You can find it with the search engine of your choice, ultimately taking you to Google drive. The scale I’m building it at is 1:14 (approx).

The parts layout per page is an absolute waste of paper. I set about rearranging all of its parts into a better use of each page, reducing the total number of pages from 51 to 26.

I then repainted the entire model as the designer created this with the intention of printing on colored paper (42 black or grey, 2 gold, 7 white) and I wanted to use the white I had on hand. The gold and silver is thin gift wrapping paper laminated to standard 20 lb copy, with spray adhesive and then printed on with laser. I used 4 different weights of paper; 110 lb for the internal box frame, 65 lb for the larger body parts/panels, 32 lb for the smaller fiddly bits and my custom metallic blend for the appropriate parts. The glass was made with a standard report cover plastic sheet, available at your local office supply store, covered with auto film tint. Note: CA does not stick well to tint. Actually, not at all. I ended up flipping the glass.

As with all models, it’s important to get the internal box frame truely square and flat. And, correctly sized if you plan to use different paper weight for these pieces as I did. I had to make it twice. I added the dark exterior base color to the inside, exposed areas of the box to keep the interior dark.

The fit, so far, has been quite good.

More to come, -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-1.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-2.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-3.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-4.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-5.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-6.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-7.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-8.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-9.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Parts 5-1&2 (also 6-1&2, being the other side) had a couple of quirky little issues to iron out. Shown in pics 17-20.
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-11.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-12.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-13.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-14.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-15.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-16.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-17.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-18.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-19.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-20.jpg  

Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 PM

Moving on to step 2 and into 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-21.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-22.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-23.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-24.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-25.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-26.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-27.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-28.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-29.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-30.jpg  

Old 04-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Finishing up with 3. Parts 9-1 through 4 (pics 31 &32) were particularly delicate because of how I decided to make them. I cut off the tabs and made joiner strips (part count went from 4 to 13). The delicate part was the front middle section of the visor that divides the two halves; it's about a 3/32" slice of paper, shown sitting directly above the eraser in 33.

Moving on to the fiddly bits of the front suspension.

Next time, -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-31.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-32.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-33.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-34.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-35.jpg  

Tumbler-tmblr-36.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-37.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-38.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-39.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-40.jpg  

Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Off to a great start. I'll be watching this with great interest, I have an unfinished project involving an enlarged version of the Claudio Dias Tumbler which ran into a few issues. I may consider starting again with this model if I like how yours turns out.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
This thread looks very interesting, everything looks great, I will follow it carefully, regards

Sergio
Old 05-03-2018, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Interesting build, Looking good...
Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 PM

bit of progress...

First two pics are of the 32 lb. parts arranged on 3 pages and a ½ page gold parts (1/2 of these gold parts are already cut out and assembled). The silver parts, yet to be printed, are also a ½ page. The silver is for later on in the build, on the business end of the vehicle.

The front suspension is quite the puzzle; really enjoying it. -J
Attached Thumbnails
Tumbler-tmblr-41.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-42.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-43.jpg   Tumbler-tmblr-44.jpg  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That is a piece of art you have there.

I'm a bit jealous
Old 05-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Impressive, it paints to be a spectacular supermodel. Impeccable work
Google Adsense