PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
Talking briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company

I have a challenge here to try to master a hard to do paper card model stock of a briggs concept dream car by ford motor company it looks like a almost looks like a 4 door Volkswagen bug from the 50's but it's not!? too many curves and shaping something new but? there's a catch too it? will it really work out on paper? the way it's on the real prototype model I was hoping for a better masterpiece! anyway I'm going to do my best at making it look the same out of paper! anyway I have some images I found on the web! that mite help me out a little!

well anyway here is the real one to be prosed out of paper! witch I'm trying to say? 1933-1935 too?
Attached Thumbnails
briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-04-1933-briggs-dream-car-ch.jpg   briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-briggs_prototyp_1933.jpg   briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-tjaarda-patent-us-des_94-396.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Don't know if you have these or not?

https://www.motorcities.org/story-of...iggs-dream-car

The Designs of John Tjaarda Result in the 1936 Lincoln Zephyr | The Old Motor

Its styling had a heavy influence on the 36 Lincoln Zephyr.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Anyone else seeing resemblance of WV Beetle?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
There is too much resemblance to think this was not inspired by the VW Beetle,
except for the fact that the final Beetle design did not appear until 1938.
If this Briggs car was designed in 1933, before the Beetle, then it must have been an original.
Who knows...maybe Porsche copied from the Americans?

But then again, all these designers shared and stole designs from each other in the early 30s.
The famous Spitfire wing shape was a German design, that RJ Mitchell supposedly studied and copied before the second world war.
The article whulsey posted above says that Porsche had a "Beetle shape" design down in 1932...that Briggs may have copied.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
The famous Spitfire wing shape was a German design, that RJ Mitchell supposedly studied and copied before the second world war.
That's is perhaps not the best way of putting that.

Prandtl and Tietjens were the great pioneers of rigorous study in aerodynamics and much of their work is still definitive.
In the 1920s they had already published their findings showing that, on a wing of finite span, the spanwise distribution of lift would always be elliptical so that a wing of elliptical planform would be the most efficient in reducing induced drag.
The information was therefore readily available and should have been known to all designers. Armed with that information they then went in for tapering their wings, but mainly in straight sections to approximate the ellipse and simplify construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Prandtl
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Right, so Mitchell ...Nazis...Spitfire...History...Got it.
Alrighty then.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up here is the first page of the??

paper model briggs dream car 1935 but? I'm here I don't know if the back of the blue prints of this car is the a. two exhaust pipe or tail lights I need some proof but I can't seem to find anything in color images from the back view of the briggs car!
Attached Thumbnails
briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-briggs-dream-car-1935.jpg  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
That's is perhaps not the best way of putting that.

Prandtl and Tietjens were the great pioneers of rigorous study in aerodynamics and much of their work is still definitive.
In the 1920s they had already published their findings showing that, on a wing of finite span, the spanwise distribution of lift would always be elliptical so that a wing of elliptical planform would be the most efficient in reducing induced drag.
The information was therefore readily available and should have been known to all designers. Armed with that information they then went in for tapering their wings, but mainly in straight sections to approximate the ellipse and simplify construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Prandtl
I agree that Prantl predicted a spanwise lift distribution which approximated an ellipse gave minimum induced drag but an elliptical planform is only one way to achieve the elliptical lift distribution. The attached shows an F-15 with an overwing condensation cloud. The shape of the cloud can act as a proxy for the lift distribution. It also shows the wing tip vortexes which are the main contributor to induced drag.

It's one of those "strange things" that Prantl revised his 1920 work in 1933 and said that the wing with lowest induced drag had a bell shaped lift distribution. The brothers Horten in Germany and later in South America created a whole host of tailless designs which approximated a bell shaped lift distribution - no one else seems to have taken up Prantl's later work. It's only in recent years that any work has been done on this - 16% lower induced drag and no tail makes it attractive option. It seems as if the birds have been doing Prantl's 1933 lift distribution for many millions of years.

I believe Porsche designed the Beetle to get minimum drag by trying to ensure the airflow over the body remained attached (laminar flow). However, the limitations of aerodynamic theory at the time gave some very bad answers which caused excessive generation of turbulence by the sloping rear and the car floating up with speed due to its airfoil shape. Early VWs had quite nasty handling. It looks like the Briggs car was designed using the same aerodynamic textbook.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-f_15_lift_distribution.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 02-20-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Cool here is the next page of the???

briggs dream car but? it's the best I can do right now!
Attached Thumbnails
briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-briggs-dream-car-1935-ii.jpg  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up page lll is now up!

still more to come keep looking for updates too??
Attached Thumbnails
briggs dream car 1933 by ford motors ford motor company-briggs-dream-car-1935lll.jpg  
Google Adsense