PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
American M816 Wrecker

I would love to get hold of a model of the M816 as my brother drove one here in the Army
Obviously part of the 800 series of American Army Vehicles made by various manufacturers such as GMC. It is larger than the deuce and a half, although I was thinking about scaling one up and modifying it to look like an 816. I have absolutely no design skills so if anybody is keen to take on the challenge...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
really the one steveo requested is a full size semi turned into a tow truck/wrecker....

I have seen tow trucks ranging from an s10 (beefed up) chevrolet all the way up through peterbuilts or freightliners given a tow package changing the optimus to a tow truck would be cool - especially if it was towing bumbleebee
Chris
Old 07-28-2009, 01:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
if i shall desing it - be prepared to wait as i have absolutely no skills for that
have been dabbling on and off with sketchup, but nothing even close to what can be described as a model.
the thing that have come somewhere is a "wood car" you know the kind that you and your father builds in the garage by planks and other assorted stuff
so right now go do something like this, we're talking lightyears away - even at warp speed
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Does it have to be contemporary? Plenty of very cool trucks (and wreckers) throughout automotive history.
Attached Thumbnails
Tow Truck someone?-dunlaps_antique_wrecker_c_s.jpg  

Last edited by Art Deco; 07-28-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 PM

well, not really, i was thinking of the one i posted a pic on earlier as that is usually what tow trucks look like over here
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The antique one is really cool. That's around a 25-27 Model L Lincoln. During that time period and into the Depression many used classics were converted into tow trucks since they usually had large, heavy frames and a fairly powerful engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM

old wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Does it have to be contemporary? Plenty of very cool trucks (and wreckers) throughout automotive history.
hi Art Deco
the one on your pic is just marvellous and would make a nice model
but i'm not the one to make it (not yet at least)
regards Håkan
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post

During that time period and into the Depression many used classics were converted into tow trucks since they usually had large, heavy frames and a fairly powerful engine.
I didn't know that! Interesting! And makes perfect sense. I did a quick search and sure enough, immediately found a Pierce Arrow tow "truck".

Håkan, Hank's Truck Pictures is a terrific resource for photos of North American trucks of every possible type and age (including modern). The search function is not so convenient, but if you like trucks, you can easily spend a LOT of time browsing there ...
Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 AM

Just found this Thread!

As to earlier discussion, Tow services are switching to rollback flatbed trucks because many newer 4WD vans and crossover SUV's can not be moved any distance due their new type transaxels (unless under their own power). They must be carried with all 4 wheels off of the road, or their transmissions could be damaged (very expensive!!!) Of course that doesn't apply to 2WD cars and light trucks.

As to old twenty's and third's cars and trucks, after the depression of '29 many luxury cars became trucks to turn them into cash. During WWII gas rationing stamps were much easier to obtain for work trucks than fancy cars. As mentioned earlier luxury cars with their heavy chassis' & powerful engines made great trucks!

Trucks, tow bodies, & flatbeds are standardized so that within a weight class anything will fit any chassis.

Jack
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Håkan, Hank's Truck Pictures is a terrific resource for photos of North American trucks of every possible type and age (including modern). The search function is not so convenient, but if you like trucks, you can easily spend a LOT of time browsing there ...
hi Art Deco
that was too much for me to handle
did not find any trucks similar to the one i was looking for in the beginning, but as you said one can spend many hours just browsing around
will just have to wait until i find one here and take as many pics as possible, then fight with sketchup until i can produce something worth building
/Håkan
Google Adsense