PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.67 MB
Depends on how big your circle is. You can go, scissors, punches or a compass cutter...

Looking good.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I build a lot of tanks, so I've cut my fair share of circles. As Papa Mashy noted, it depends on the size of the circle. To that comment, I would add that the thickness of the part also plays a part. If the size permits, and the paper is only 1 or 2 layers thick, scissors will often work well (turn the part, not the scissors). For circle parts that are laminated to 0.5mm (or thicker) cardboard, I have been most successful using a razor knife/scalpel. I cut a series of arcing slices, usually 12 to 15 individual cuts are required to get all the way around. I have no experience with compass cutters.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
As far as circles go, the way I saw it explained on one of the paper forums many years ago has stuck with me.

It's said that everyone has a certain 90 degree arc that is the most comfortable for them to cut in, it's different for some people. Hope that makes sense... Think of your circle as the face of a clock and divide it into quadrants... 12 to 3, 3 to 6, etc..

For me, I like to cut anti-clockwise from 9 to 6, rotating the part so I'm always cutting where it's most comfortable. Then you just apply a nice sharp blade and some patience and you'll be cutting perfect circles in no time.

I've tried a few compass cutters but I guess you get what you pay for, I've tried cheap ones and the results are pretty hit and miss, you also need to find the exact center of the circle which can be annoying if it's not marked on the part.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 08-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
"I can say proudly that I have been successful in transforming a flat 2d shape into a 3d shape" That's a good start!