PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Čechie-Böhmerland 1927

Another year, another strange motorcycle! Not my own design this time, but one I have wanted to build for some time.

NM Studio offers two free models, but also shows photographs of several more, mostly small buildings and vehicles. I have been particular interested in one of them - a rather extraordinary Czech motorbike from the 1920s. I hoped that more of these models would be made available on the web site, but this has not come to pass. However, I recently discovered that most if not all of the models have been published in ABC Magazine over the last seven or eight years, and I have now obtained the relevant issue, together with a number of other models taken from various issues of the magazine.

-pic1.jpg

For those few who do not already know, ABC is a fortnightly magazine published in the Czech Republic (and formerly Czechoslovakia). It is aimed at young people, and each issue contains a number of short articles on broadly scientific and technological subjects. There are usually also two or three paper models of varying complexity, a large number of which have been contributed by Richard Vyškovskı since the magazine was first published in the 1950s. This model is not by Vyškovskı, however, but by Milan Novobilskı.

The prototype was built by Albin Liebisch in Krasna Lipa in Bohemia between 1925 and 1939, and was intended for family touring. It is particularly notable for its enormous length. The model is of a three-seater (in tandem) which was 3.5 metres long, and there was even a four-seater version and a sidecar could be added for yet more passengers. It was powered by a single-cylinder 600cc engine, and was claimed to be able to reach 95 km/hr (60mph), though I wonder how realistic that was.

Incidentally, the name "Čechie-Böhmerland" is simply the names for Bohemia in coloquial Czech and in German.

-pic2.jpg

The model as published in 2005 occupies four pages of the magazine - three-and-a-bit pages of parts plus a photo of the completed model and a description of the prototype.

-pic3.jpg-pic4.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM

No diagrams or instructions were printed, the reader being directed to the magazine's web site to obtain these. Fortunately these are still available, though not at the URL printed in the magazine. Here one finds an extensive piece of (Czech) text and four large diagrams:
- full-size orthogonal views of the frame,
- reduced (65%) orthogonal views of the finished model and full-size views of the engine and wheels,
- assembly drawings of several detail sections of the model,
- oblique drawings of the finished model with part numbers indicated.

-pic5.jpg -pic6.jpg -pic7.jpg -pic8.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Very cool, and very detailed for an ABC model. The only Czech brand I was ever aware of was Jawa-CZ. I owned a CZ 125 motocross bike as a teenager.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looks an interesting kit

Will be following this thread

Tim
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Will be following with interest. Thanks for the link also. Grabbed the 1906 Spyker. Will need to dig through my references but believe this was the car raced against the Darracq Geneivere (sp) in the movie of the same name.
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Really looking forward to following this, as I have this one also from the days when I had my ABC subscription.
Extremely colorful, and great graphics.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I just realized that the bike has stamped wheels. I guess it was needed to handle the weight of the bike and passengers, versus spoked wheels. Or perhaps it was cheaper to manufacture since there was no tuning of the spokes.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
I thought i saw this some years ago with a side car? Any recollection of something like that?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Alan:
I'm not fond for this particular bike, but I am really interested in seeing what you do with this model.
One thing I dislike but seems to be faithful to the real bike are the colors, they seemed too bright in the model, but now, looking the pictures of the actual bike, I can see why they are like that...wonder how they managed to get that bright colors at the time..?
I bet you will improve several areas to render a more interesting model.
Good luck and thanks a lot for sharing!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

First, thank you all for joining me in my blundering about. I hope it will be entertaining, if not enlightening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Will be following with interest. Thanks for the link also. Grabbed the 1906 Spyker. Will need to dig through my references but believe this was the car raced against the Darracq Geneivere (sp) in the movie of the same name.
Yes, you are quite right about "Genevieve" - the other car was a 14/18 HP Spyker, though from 1904 rather than 1906 (otherwise it wouldn't have qualified for the London-Brighton run which is the basis for the film). There don't seem to be many differences, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
I just realized that the bike has stamped wheels. I guess it was needed to handle the weight of the bike and passengers, versus spoked wheels. Or perhaps it was cheaper to manufacture since there was no tuning of the spokes.
All the info I have found on the WWW describes the wheels as cast alloy, though you are quite right that these ones look much more like pressed steel. Looking again at the photographs I have found, there seem to have been two different sorts of wheel - the later type with narrower "spokes" and large circular cutouts do look to be cast. I would guess that it was load-carrying which was important rather than cost; in fact I should have thought that conventional wire wheels would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
I thought i saw this some years ago with a side car? Any recollection of something like that?
Is this what you have in mind? I just love the shopping basket hanging from the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemodeler View Post
Alan:
I'm not fond for this particular bike, but I am really interested in seeing what you do with this model.
One thing I dislike but seems to be faithful to the real bike are the colors, they seemed too bright in the model, but now, looking the pictures of the actual bike, I can see why they are like that...wonder how they managed to get that bright colors at the time..?
I bet you will improve several areas to render a more interesting model.
Good luck and thanks a lot for sharing!!!
Whatever you say about this bike, it definitely ain't pretty, but then that is what gives it charm! I think that we can sometimes forget that dyes and pigments from that time could be very bright, but were generally not colour-fast. What has come down to us is often a greatly faded or darkened version of the original, which has given us an impression of drabness which is unjustified. Anyway, I am enjoying the prospect of a bit of unsubtle colour, after all the grey of the Harleys.

Alan
Google Adsense