PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
What scale are you aiming for? 1:6?

Would I be correct to assume that 1:6 is small enough to retain sanity?
I'm going to have to wave my hands a bit and say I'm planning for "about" 1:5. I don't know the exact length of this bike (I can't find the numbers). I would say its about 7 feet long. I want the actual model to come out around 18 inches (yeah, that big) so that would make it "about" 1:5. I'm not being a real stickler for exact scale here.

The other constraint here is fitting it on 8.5 x 11 paper (which is all I have in stock). I will shrink the model until it fits this form factor if necessary--so who knows it might end up being closer to 1:6. I might even make an A3 or A4 version if anyone is interested (not sure which one is preferred).

-LD
Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

I'm not certain about it but I have heard rumours that the MTO model was around that scale and the details are quite satisfactory.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Yeah the big Yamaha has a scale of 1:5.5 or so
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM

you're going to turn that into a paper model, I'm very interested, keep up the good work
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Unfolding has begun. I'll start with the rear end of the bike. After some adjustments to scaling, it appears that the scale is about 1:5.5. So I guess this is on par with the MT-01. I think I'll release these unfolded parts and some rough instructions in case anyone wants to try out a white alpha build with me. Feedback is, of course, welcome.

-LD
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM

The only thing I can think of at this time is polygonal vs nurb modeling for final model output. What I am getting at is flowing shapes vs segmented ones that one typically sees with a polygonal model.

This advice is a little late though as you have already designed the digital model and are about to flatten it for pattern.

Not to throw you off track, I would have to reserve comments to a vanilla build.

Keep up the good work though.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog49 View Post
Unfolding has begun. I'll start with the rear end of the bike. After some adjustments to scaling, it appears that the scale is about 1:5.5. So I guess this is on par with the MT-01. I think I'll release these unfolded parts and some rough instructions in case anyone wants to try out a white alpha build with me. Feedback is, of course, welcome.
-LD
You're well on your way!:D Looking great! (Professional opinion). The only hold back to whether or not I'll build it (when finished design is available) will be size of parts ( I prefer larger, easier to handle - this also opens the way to more and better detail). Everything so far appears to be in my 'comfort zone'. Those who love em' small-tiny-miniscule-microscopic can always find a way to scale it down themselves.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
The only thing I can think of at this time is polygonal vs nurb modeling for final model output. What I am getting at is flowing shapes vs segmented ones that one typically sees with a polygonal model.

This advice is a little late though as you have already designed the digital model and are about to flatten it for pattern.

Not to throw you off track, I would have to reserve comments to a vanilla build.

Keep up the good work though.
When I hear nurb modeling my eyes glaze over a bit. Seems to complex for me at my level. I'm not even really sure what it is and how it can be employed for papermodels. Do you have some examples I can look at? Also what tools are required for nurb modeling? From what I can tell it seems like it is well suited to organic modeling like people and animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebdude View Post
You're well on your way! Looking great! (Professional opinion). The only hold back to whether or not I'll build it (when finished design is available) will be size of parts ( I prefer larger, easier to handle - this also opens the way to more and better detail). Everything so far appears to be in my 'comfort zone'. Those who love em' small-tiny-miniscule-microscopic can always find a way to scale it down themselves.
Thanks! Well, I won't lie to you--there are some small parts that might require the aid of a toothpick to build. These small details I couldn't leave out because I feared it would make the model a little flatter than I wanted. Of course, one could easily omit some of the smaller details and no one would really be the wiser. I'll leave that up to you if you choose to build it.

-LD
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Rhino is best known for NURB modeling. I would have to agree with you on the comfort level. Do what you feel is most comfortable after all, you have completed the model to this point as a polygonal model.

Again, I think your vanilla will be the best avenue for comments. The digital looks great from here. My comment on Nurbs was mostly geared towards a result that gives you smooth curves. You can get a similar result with hi-poly model parts but I have found them hard to work with in pepakura (not sure what the new version is capable of).
Old 09-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Any progress on this model? Can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Yeah i know... i got little patience

I love big models with lots of detail and this Mille Miglia looks like it's gonna be a fantastic craft! Thx for creating this.

Trakk.
Google Adsense