PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Painting a paper model tractor?

I have paper model kit Ursus C45 one of the pictures show the model but it is obviously painted. What type paint is recommended to paint a paper model so it ends up looking glossy without destroying most of the detail?
I'm also assuming the models get painted after assembly, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2020, 10:19 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
The painting of paper models is usually a hold over from the time behind the iron curtain, when paper and graphics were poor, repainting a model would seal the model as well.

but with current releases(say the last 24 years), the paper, printing ink, and graphics all have been steadily improved negating the need to paint the model.

now, having said that, if you feel you need to paint the model, that is perfectly fine, and totally your choice.
modern day graphics on some paper models would be lost if you were to paint the finished model, most builders just edge color the white cut edges, and seal the model with either a gloss or matte spray varnish
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
You might try light watercolor washes, trying them out on blank areas to see how the paper reacts to the water. To see how the detail may or may not be obscured try washes over any of the written material which should give an indication of how the printed matter of the kit would hold up. Hope this is of some help.

Derek
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
watercolors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrit View Post
You might try light watercolor washes, trying them out on blank areas to see how the paper reacts to the water. To see how the detail may or may not be obscured try washes over any of the written material which should give an indication of how the printed matter of the kit would hold up. Hope this is of some help.

Derek

I have watercolor paints, so I might try them also for the edge coloring.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Some depends on how crazy you want to get on detailing and if you want to ever finish it.
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Oops, pushed some wrong buttons. Anyway my first go, I used automotive primer then painted with Oliver green from Tractor Supply. The red on the wheels is Testors along with the gloss black parts. Wasn't real happy with it so started over. This time I'm lightly sealing the paper with super thing AC glue from the hobby shop. Since the green went on really heavy will probably decant it from the spray can and use the air brush on it. When and if I ever get back to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a paper model tractor?-2015-06-19-20002x-xl.jpg   Painting a paper model tractor?-2017-06-27-20338-20new-20body-20side-20rt-xl.jpg  
Old 05-31-2020, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Watercolors for edge coloring , applied carefully with a fine brush, has long been a standard practice. An Ingenia kit that I have, printed in one colour, carries the instruction to colour it using watercolor pencils. An initial experiment did not truly satisfy me. However as the paper/card on which it is printed is fairly substantial and seems to hold up fairly well under a gentle wash method I'm going to try regular watercolor on it. As mentioned earlier trying out your colour experiments on scrap areas of the kit should determine whether or not the kit will take whatever medium you choose. As you can tell from Whulsey's post we are willing to attempt all kinds of media to gain our devious ends...
Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
When I paint, I airbrush or use many light acrylic washes. Despite what others have said above, its very common to paint most large (1:25) east European vehicle models.