Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
meanwhile on kartonowki.pl

extreme paper modeling!

Model Ursus C 330 - Kartonowki.pl
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2020, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
while I agree its a beautiful piece of work...ultra realistic detailing and texturing...

lets be real...
its not much different than a plastic kit, having been puttied, seam filled, sanded and painted.
The paper model underneath is gone.
The builder also admits using a lot of other parts and materials.
The realism is all surface paint work and weathering.
This is not a real "paper" model and shouldn't be judged that way.

I say this because I imagine many paper modelers throwing up their hands and giving up.
Or believing that their efforts are somehow less than acceptable.
This is a multi-media model and shouldn't intimidate any paper modeler.

The Tires look extremely impressive and realistic!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Dave I get what you are saying. But I think the message came out wrong.

I would never think I make paper models. No, we make scale models. We just prefer doing it with paper. Of course, it is outrageous to claim that one should not paint a plastic, wooden, or metal kit. So why the hate on painting paper? When did painting, sanding and puttying make it 'less'? That we have the privilege of pre-printed textures
should be bonus, not a jail cell.

There are people who holds the view that 'we' are different from plastic models, so there is no comparison, no competition. No, I do not think that is the right mindset anywhere. A paper model should be judged under the same scrutiny as any other model. If I aim for realism, I would certainly not want people to realise what material I did it with unless I tell them. If one keeps hiding behind the 'made with paper' billboard, one will be limiting their own potential.

Rather than for someone to feel 'intimidated', I think it's better to aim for it. (Hey, you, did you do that without sanding? Even better.)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 PM

I make paper models...I try to use nothing else, or a limited amount of anything else.
I try to build paper kits right "out of box" so to speak.
So, while they are scale models, everything I build can be classed as a "paper" or "card" model.

You started the thread with "extreme paper modeling".
I guess thats what caught my attention.
Why not just "extreme realism modeling" or "lots'o'paint" LOL

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to hate on anything...
I just think if you gonna call it a "paper model" then...
it shouldn't be a paper-putty-metal-plastic-painted-wood-string model.

Because, as you say, that is a "scale model" or "mixed media scale model".

I'm okay with a small percentage of the build being other materials (like a clear canopy for example)
or even using airbrushing some shading on a paper model for added effect...

but this model might as well be plastic or carved wood underneath
when you consider the amount of puttying, sanding, painting and weathering required to achieve the look.

The extreme texturing and weathering are not part of the paper build in my opinion.
Like you said "don't hide behind the "paper" model title.

My biggest issue is how these types of models affect and intimidate beginners and less skilled modelers.
I would hate for any modeller to give up or not continue building paper models after seeing this type of build and being told "its paper".
Old 07-26-2020, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
By which reasoning, a plastic model that has been filled, puttied, sanded, painted and weathered, isn't a plastic model either.

And should a paper model even have printing ink on it.

And surely a wooden sailing ship model isn't wooden - unless of course it has wooden rigging.

Can't you just accept that there are some paper models made from paper that has printing on it and a separate category of paper model where plain paper is merely the primary construction material?

There are devotees of both styles.
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 AM

You guys know, that this model could easily win at any plastic model show.
But if you revealed and claimed it was a paper model, it would be denied entry on that basis.
So then, you'd argue against it being isolated and classed as a "paper" model, since it has all the
same construction materials and techniques as any one of the plastic models at that show!

I'd argue that Plastic models are filled with plastic putty, and painted with acrylic(plastic) paints.
So they be truly plastic! LOL

I lump the minuscule amount of printed Ink in with the minimal amount of "tolerable extra content".
But I question if a model like this tractor can be claimed as having paper as the primary construction material.
Not only do the "extra" materials make up a much larger percentage of the build,
but the extra materials become the necessary and primary component for the end result.
The tractor underneath could literally be made from sea sponge or hardened peanut butter.

[I hope you can see I am having fun with this discussion]

There is always out-of-box categories at most plastic model shows because they recognize the difference between augmented and non-augmented plastic models.

Its funny you brought up Wooden models (which, I agree, often have many other material components)...
I entered paper models at an IPMS event, and was refused judging based on model composition (paper),
and yet they accepted and judged more than one Wooden sailing ship model in the large Ship category.
Even Dioramas had wooden components, and yet they weren't shunned because of it.

You guys are fixated on the idea of what constitutes a paper model.
Whereas I am just fixated on the idea of highly modified, puttied, painted and weathered scale models being lumped in
with more basic paper models...especially if it serves to intimidate or lessen the value of "100%" paper models.
I'm not arguing with you as to what should or shouldn't go into a paper model.
But I've heard from beginners who are reluctant to try more complicated models after seeing model skills like this.
It can be very intimidating for the less experienced.
I just think the clarification of the materials...and not claiming this is just another "paper" model would be more fair.

Last edited by airdave; 07-27-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
I'll take that as a "No".

Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 AM

.....maybe
Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Fantastic model, don't care if it was made out of table scraps (as long as its sealed so it doesn't smell). Its the finished results that counts.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
The thing is - before we all had our own printers to print off downloaded kits; before printed kits were widely available, if you wanted to make a model out of card, you'd build it from scratch using plain card then paint it (if you wanted to) and maybe add small details from other bits and pieces (even Geoffrey Deason suggested using light flex or cycle inner tube rubber for tyres on his model cars).

Having said that, as airdave suggests, I also feel a bit intimidated by superbly painted and weathered models as I know there's no way I could match that kind of finish!

In other words, everyone's right! (IMHO)
Google Adsense
Closed Thread