PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Next...

Next, I made two photocopies of the profile drawing onto 110 lbs. cardstock, and cut out a pattern for the side sections, and one for the center section. I glued these to a sheet of lightweight cardboard of the type found on the backs of legal pads or writing tablets. It's smooth, and about 1/32 of an inch thick.
Tomorrow I will cut these out, so I can trace the parts pieces around them.
As for now, it's Sunday evening. Time for a nap, then some roasted chicken and wine, and a good movie ("No Time for Sergeants").
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-scan_20200809-5-.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
I think your method is interesting. I recall your models ...
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM

Tracing.

The parts for the side panels are traced around the patterns, onto 1/32 inch cardboard. The panels are then cut out. I cut to the insides of the lines, because the traced parts, will of course, be slightly larger than the patterns.

The parts are matched against the patterns, and with each other.
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-scan_20200810.jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-scan_20200810-2-.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:57 AM

Next...

It's time to make the strips that will join the panels together. For the side sections, the strips will be 1/2 inch wide, and will be 1/32 inch thick cardboard.
They will be bent and curved to match the outlines of the panels to which they will be glued.

Cardboard has a grain, as does wood. The grain can be found by flexing the cardboard in each direction. Any piece that will have to be curved or bent needs to be cut in a direction that is compatible with the grain. Curving can be done by running a pencil or a dowel along the length of the piece. Bends should be scored, to be clean and crisp.

Shown is a strip, curved and scored, waiting to be glued around the edges of a side panel.
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-strip-panel-three-60-valiant..jpg  

Last edited by markcrowel; 08-10-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.91 MB
a long time again when i was young i went to Staten Island auto show I bought something

a plastic model of a resin kit of a 1960 Plymouth Valiant it was off glass like see throw plastic model and the color was off green color like kit? you can see right throw it! it was rare and hard to find! i don't have it anymore it's gone! somewhere! but you doing a great job keep up the great works your getting it right!
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Next...

Now to build the side section, or pontoon, as auto stylists call it. The strip is glued edge-to-edge (or "butt-glued" ) to the perimeter of the panel. The cardboard is thick enough to make that fairly easy. Do about an inch at a time. I use Elmer's glue, and I hold each segment in place about 15 seconds to give the glue time to set. At the rear of this pontoon are a couple of small, tedious angles. Rather than use a longer continuous strip through this area, it's easier to maneuver and keep things fitting right if this area is pieced in with small sections (first two photos, this post).

I glued reinforcement braces into the pontoon ( third photo shows these well). The fourth photo shows the completed pontoon.
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-better-pic-side-section-progress..jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-side-section-ready-other-panel.jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-good-view-side-section-braces..jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-completed-side-pontoon..jpg  
Old 08-11-2020, 03:30 PM

Dry fit.

Dry fit of the completed sections.
Now to pick a color. Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-60-valiant-dry-fit-front-angle..jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-60-valiant-dry-fit-rear-angle..jpg   1960 Plymouth Valiant-60-valiant-dry-fit-side..jpg  
Old 08-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Weren't they all painted some sort of god-awful pale turquoise. I had a friends mother that had one and we were almost embarrassed to ride in it. It did have one of those push button automatic transmissions though.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:27 PM

I have turquoise colored paper. One vote for turquoise (?).
Any other choices? I was considering bright red, medium blue, and buttercup yellow.

My Mom's 1961 Rambler Ambassador (tan) had a push button automatic.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
I have seen in turquoise, I vote for him, although in those distant years when I was a child here it was not well seen.
Google Adsense