PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
VW Beetle

Hello friends,

After quite a while perusing this excellent site, I felt that it was time to contribute something. I have been a modeller (plastic kits) since I was about ten, but had a 'road to Damascus' moment after visiting the Scottish Nationals at Perth last year. On display were some card models. "Those are not made from card" was my retort, "oh yes they are" (sorry, it is panto season after all!) came the reply. So that was it, a bit of research and a whole new world appeared before me. My modelling themes were mostly anything Naval; aviation, ships and the like, but since becoming a born again card modeller, I find myself having a go at just about anything.
So, anyway, one of my modelling chums was at the Bremen show recently and presented me with a VW Beetle kit that picked up for a few euros. "have a go at that" he says, "lots of lovely compound curves to stop you from becoming bored". The model is to 1:45 scale and this is the progress so far today.

My thanks to all for sharing.
Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
VW Beetle-dscf2740.jpg   VW Beetle-dscf2730.jpg   VW Beetle-dscf2729.jpg   VW Beetle-dscf2731.jpg   VW Beetle-dscf2741.jpg  

VW Beetle-dscf2742.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
That's coming along nicely! I had several beetles when they were the only cars I could afford to drive and loved them all.
That is an interesting looking kit you have; I look forward to watching it take form.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
That looks like a really nice kit - best I've seen for a VW Beetle - complete with interior. Keep up the good work.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You can achieve the gentle curvature of the Beetle's design by butt joining thepieces as opposed to lap joining them. Just glue joining strips to the underside of each piece.

Once you have a tight seam, gently roll the paper. Do this by placing the parts, printed side down, on a surface that is hard, but with some give. I use a mouse pad backed with illustration or picture matt board.

For the Beetle use a hard, smooth, spherical object that is about 3-4" in diameter to gently roll the paper. Start from the center and work towards the edges with a "rolling" motion. You will see the paper curve underneath the roller.

This is a modification of the actual technique used to hand form metal sheet, back in the days before stamping presses were used to form parts.

Now, you ask, what kind of an object is hard, smooth, and spherical? Try a stainless steel ladle. Should work just fine.

Good luck with the build!

Merry Christmas
Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
cdavenport; Thanks for that gem of knowledge! I've tried that technique with some small parts but had not yet figured out that it will work on larger pieces too.
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking good - are you putting windows in?

Tim
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is a great build and brings back some fond (and funny) memories. I had a brief stint with a VW beetle in 1989 when I was in the Navy. I forget the model year, it was probably late sixties, early seventies. I remember it had a placard that reminded the driver to check the air pressure in the spare tire at every fill-up. This was because VW used the air pressure in the spare tire (by way of a valve stem attachment) to pressurize the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Gotta love that kind of engineering!

It was ruined when hurricane Hugo hit shore at Charleston SC, and the sea levels rose. Not a good sign when you pull the oil dip stick from the engine, and sea water starts pouring out! I think the only thing that save that car from floating out to sea then, was the rust holes all along the unitized floor pan...

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
VW Beetle

Hi folks,

Thanks for the tips and positive comments. The kit came with a small sheet of printed celophane for all of the windows, so I will be fitting these to display the interior
Attached Thumbnails
VW Beetle-dscf2743.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Great model, and you're doing a great job building it. I own 3 VW's and collect every model of them I can get my hands on, but yours is a new one to me. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.