PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
Thank you Peter. Don't worry, I have no desire to make any of this competitive, though I do tend to set myself challenges and maybe get a little frustrated if I miss them. I am really enjoying watching the reports of other peoples' VMAX builds - Viraj on here and Michael Knobloch on Kartonmodell-Forum. Michael is building a gigantic 140% version, which is stunning.

Alan
Hi Alan. I also try to set myself up for a particular place to be in a build in a given period....guess what ? i NEVER get there - well rarely. Can you please put a link to the model by Michael - i would like to see this too. Many thanks. All the best. Regards Pete.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Peter

I didn't put the link in because some forum owners do not like to see links to "the opposition", and I didn't want to annoy anyone. Looking around the forums I think we are much more relaxed and grown-up here, so here goes: Michael Knobloch's Yamaha Vmax.

Alan
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Peter

I didn't put the link in because some forum owners do not like to see links to "the opposition", and I didn't want to annoy anyone. Looking around the forums I think we are much more relaxed and grown-up here, so here goes: Michael Knobloch's Yamaha Vmax.

Alan
OMG... This really is one of the finest quality models around, and i can certainly see why you guys have got this one in build mode - i will certainly build her at some point. In the meantime, i am just relaxing looking at your super build step by step. PM.COM don't have any hangups with other forums {unless blatant poaching is found} the guys here have respect for everyone and everything, hence the reason that this is THE DEFINITIVE PAPER MODEL FORUM on the network - makes me proud to be apart of it. Thanks for the link Alan, it made my day
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Quote:
Peter

Alan
my goodness, Michael's model is not too far off to the real thing in size
if i would do this one, i will have to do it like Michael - in A3 format
btw hey Peter i bought an A3 printer so Titanic will def be upscaled :D
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
my goodness, Michael's model is not too far off to the real thing in size
if i would do this one, i will have to do it like Michael - in A3 format
btw hey Peter i bought an A3 printer so Titanic will def be upscaled :D
Go for it.... Large is BEAUTIFUL, and good luck with your Titanic matey
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Nazgul Send a message via Yahoo to Nazgul
Great to see you at it Alan....Love your progress and I now know what a pain the fiddly little parts on the cylinder heads would've been..Kudos to you

See stuff I've built HERE
See my current build Mille Miglia
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Firstly, thanks to Jason for all his work over the last few days getting us up and running again (albeit in a three-week-old state).

I will now upload my posts and photographs from the missing period, before giving you an update.

Alan
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM

This was first posted on 2nd February 2010.

I have been taking an inordinate time over the next few pieces, for assemblies "Engine 9" and "Engine 10". I had to have a couple of goes to get Engine 9 acceptable - it is the prominent red circular cover on the left side of the engine, and needs to look reasonable. Here it is with a previous try on the right.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic08.jpg

The fairing "Engine 10" was the serious problem. The original piece is at the back of the picture above, where it doesn't look too bad, but it is very fragile, and proved impossible to fit cleanly. In fact the inner part (lower part in the photograph) simply does not fit in the space available on the alternator-like object "Engine 11". This wasn't just me - in the photographs on the Yamaha web site this section of the fairing on their model hangs free, whereas on the real bike it hugs the cylindrical body of the alternator. In the end I cut back the end of this piece to fit, and installed it first, followed by the narrow conical fairing, left rather broader to give some strength.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic09.jpg

Finally I could attach the hourglass shaped piece, with all the tabs removed and just butt-glued.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic10.jpg

Let us hope that things move a little faster after all this.

Alan
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 AM

This was first posted on 7th February 2010.

Things have moved on - the engine is (almost) complete.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic11.jpg Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic12.jpg

All that remains is the kick stand and three hoses to connect to the radiator. The hoses I shall leave until I have the radiator to fit them to. The stand is made, but is far too fragile and exposed to have any chance of surviving my clumsy handling over the coming weeks. It will go on right at the end.

Alan
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM

This was first posted on 11th February 1020.

The final part of file 1 is done - the inlet manifold. This was a major pain to put together, as everything hangs off with little support. Any handling knocks things awry.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic13.jpg

The result is not really very pretty, but since the majority of it will be all but invisible once the engine is installed in the frame I have decided to live with it.

Yamaha VMAX 2009-pic14.jpg

Now for the frame, which I can see is also going to be hard. But then that's what we do it for, isn't it?

Alan
Google Adsense