PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Coach and Buggy Series

I will start to make my first model in the down sized coach series. My physicians buggy took flight to my daughters house, so the first build will be the buggy. There are a few models that can be made with the chassis with just the change of the box. I will start to download the build thread soon. The plans for this one are done, so now it is time to start. I will make the download available when it is almost finished in the build thread.
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Look forward to this. My father used to restore antique carriages, wagons and sleighs.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Eternal Member

The buggy

You probably seen my earlier thread on the buggy. This one is different and at 75% from the first build. There are going to be some different techniques in the build. The plans are basic and you will have to make some parts on your own as well as painting the model by hand. Here are some pics on the beginning of another coach thread except that all of the coaches will be on this single thread instead of multiple different threads.

The first thing is to get the Leaf spring and wheel jigs done.

I started with the leaf springs. In the first build thread, I strengthened the leaf with a piece of wire to keep its shape. In this build since it is smaller, the leafs are glued without the wire support. In fact the springs work like the original. I cut a thin strip of heavy card stock and laminated the leafs, and cut the smaller ones and built it up. more to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
Coach and Buggy Series-010.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-002.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-003.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-004.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-005.jpg  

Coach and Buggy Series-006.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-007.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Off to great start. I have always liked this style of buggy and also the style in the attached photo, (which are kind of similar).
Attached Thumbnails
Coach and Buggy Series-mountain-buggy-001.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great will be following with anticipation! Especially since I just found another book on carriages: this one on Amish and Mennonite ones.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Eternal Member

The buggy

There are many variations and names for the buggy ie; Physicians buggy, Amish or Mennonite courting buggy, That Mountain Buggy, Piano Box Buggy and a few more. Here are a few more build pics.

Use the plans as a template for the joining of the pieces. Cut the parts out of the template and laminate them to a reasonable thickness and then cut off the excess. For the axles, you can use a wooden dowel or in my case as shown, paper rods/sticks from a Q-Tip ear swab.
Attached Thumbnails
Coach and Buggy Series-008.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-009.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-010.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-011.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-012.jpg  

Coach and Buggy Series-013.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-014.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

I love what you dong, your models are incredible, and unique.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Excellent! I'm so glad you've returned to this series! I still think you should consider marketing these ...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Eternal Member

The buggy

Thanks for the comments guys, Here are a few more build updates.

these pics are mostly on the leaf springs.

For the front axle, I drilled a hole for the front axle pivot point.

I hand colored them with the wooden area a flat black and the metal leafs a gun metal color. I was going to do the bands in gunmetal also but I bought a gold sheet and decided to embellish the build a little. A lot of the other metal parts will be done with the metal foil paper. When I banded the axles, there was a little extension that I snipped off to bring the band closer to the axle.

Next installation Will be the joining of the axles with a center structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Coach and Buggy Series-015.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-016.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-017.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-018.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-019.jpg  

Coach and Buggy Series-020.jpg   Coach and Buggy Series-021.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Those are some awesome leaf springs. When I was 21 years old I worked in a shop and we made leaf springs from scratch. I made a pair for a huge Diamond Rio truck once. They weighed 900 lbs.each when finished. It's really time consuming work, in metal or paper, though if I had to do it again, it would only do it in paper.
Google Adsense