PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Marcus Waltz Viva Las Vegas chopper.

Hello everyone.
As I mentioned in LougDog's thread of the Millie Miglia, I wanted to do his chopper in Lime green, to emulate the chopper that Marcus Waltz build and named Viva las Vegas!

Here is a picture of the real thing

And here is a mock up that I did on a graphic program, based on one picture from the excellent instruction booklet from LougDog

The modifications will be:
Exhaust on the opposite side of engine
Different shape of the gas tank.
Everything else will be the same as in the original but with some repainting.

First thing I did was to rescale the parts so the model will be of the same scale than the previous paper bikes I have done.
For that I took the rear tire as reference. I measured the outer circumference of a rubber tire from a Hayabusa X-1 kit and tried to make part P2 the same length.
After printing I noticed that part P2 was OK but all other parts were way too big

Then I realized part P@ was HALF of the final part P2+Q2, so my parts were double-sized
Lesson learned: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and UNDERSTAND THEM.
After resizing again, I got the right size, and on the process I managed to put 4 - 5 original pages on one re-sized one

I have cut and prepare the parts of half tire, tonight I will glue them and see if I can cut the rest of the tire
Until next time.
Edgardo
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! green looks good. Which software did u use for resizing?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM

I used Paint Shop Pro v 8.1.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.29 MB
Looking Good!! :D
Are you going to add the green exhaust bracket plate??
Looks quite easy to draw up and print

Wayne
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, that is a might fine touch-up job you did with the green, Edgardo. I looked at the picture and thought for a second "Wow, you already finished building it!?! That was fast!". Very impressive PSP painting skills it is a very good approximation of what the final bike will look like.

Love the green coloring around the rims. The idea of converting it to the Las Vegas bike is very brilliant indeed. I look forward to seeing how you build the modifications. I think I can learn quite a bit from seeing how you customize this bike.

Sorry about the mixup with P2 and Q2. That is not your fault, it is mine. I should have labeled it better on the P and Q pages so that it would be very obvious that it was split onto two pages. Lesson learned .

I will watch with great fascination as you progress. Thanks for taking on this project. I'm sure it will turn out much better than my attempt.

-LD
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.29 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemodeler View Post
Hello everyone.

Here is a picture of the real thing

The modifications will be:
Exhaust on the opposite side of engine
Different shape of the gas tank.
Everything else will be the same as in the original but with some repainting.

Until next time.
Edgardo
Looking at your photo.Does the exhaust not exit the same side,just through the bracket I previously mentioned??

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Marcus Waltz Viva Las Vegas chopper.-hardcoreharley_07.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Edgardo

Good man for taking up the challenge! That lime green is certainly going to be an eye-catcher.

For the record, what was your conclusion as to the original scale of the model? One of these days I'll finish my VMAX and (after a decent interval) would like to have a go at this. Like you, I would like to have it close to the same scale as all my other bike models.

Alan
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks to all for your input!!

Wayne
Yes, I am going to do the plaque and the switches on that side, You can see them better in this picture.

As for the exhaust going on the other side of the engine, I mean the tubes, not the holes in the engine.
Here is a picture showing the other side of the engine.

LougDoug
Thanks for your compliments, coming from you, they mean a big deal.

Alan
Doing some math I will agree with LougDog that the scale is roughly 1 / 5.5
I first reduced it 90 % and then 50 % meaning I'm working to 45 % of the original, so

You have to take in account that the tire from a Hayabusa X-1 is not the same as a wide 300 tire.
So my approximation is not exact at all.
BTW, what scale are your other bikes?

Best Regards.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Edgardo

Thank you - I didn't wish to doubt Loudog's estimate, but am interested in your confirmation. So, 1:5.5 it is, the same as the big Yamahas.

For no good reason, I have standardised on half the smaller Yamaha scale. Well, there is a good reason - it is just what I did first. Where I have been able to compare the Yamaha models with published measurements they have come out pretty close to 1:7, so I try to scale all my motorcycle models to 1:14. That means that with a 1:5.5 model I am scaling to 39% - not far different from your 45%. It will make your build especially interesting for me.

Alan
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM

OK, last night I didn't have enough time to do anything, it was father's day at my country so family did a big dinner party that ended really late.
But since this is a fun build, I did something on lunch break at the office.
I am going to modify the tank and one of the methods I use is to have the original parts built in order to modify them or compare with new parts.
I did a printout of the parts I intend to modify, and it was a good excuse to do some papermodeling at work. :D
I quick-assembled the frame parts where the tank will rest. The holes on the frame are not twisted, I changed them since the original chopper had them that way, also the upper tube does not show any holes at all, so I eliminated them on the process.

BTW, meet Igor.. he helps watching things...
I have him with me for several years, I once found a scanned page of a GPM magazine with this guy (mea culpa..), supposedly to be a mailman or something like that.
With that face , he must have been a grumpy mailman.!!
Believe it or not , he have survived several office moves and paper pressing accidents.. he was always like that, no hands, no shoes , and for some reason he lost his cap, maybe for lack of glue. I decided to show him to the world.

OK that's it for today, I just wanted to post something to force me to keep building.
Cheers
Google Adsense