PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Angraf GAZ AA

Finally got a digital camera (Nikon D80) and sort of getting able to get things onto the PC thought I'd start posting some photos of actually working on a model...occasionally.

This is my first commercial printed one. I scanned everything and have been working from those. The idea was to see how it went together and then do the "few" changes needed to convert it back to a 31 Ford AA. Besides the learning new techniques and the language difficulties, I'm finding lots of wrong stuff and some things that seem to have been overcomplicated just because. Reminds me of some of the plastic car kits from the 60s with all the opening panels that the only way most people could ever get one together was glue everything shut.

I build 12 tires to get the 9 I'm somewhat happy with plus a couple of extra wheels. On the fronts I did some layering to create the lug notes and some .010 plastic rod for the lug nuts. The wheels are completely accurate but acceptable.

I originally build the rear axle per the kit, bit it was so incorrect I shaved the center section down and rebuilt it to be closer to prototype. Still need to smooth it out, add the drain plug and the bolts around the center section flanges.

This is the front axle and spring pretty much out of the kit except I'm making kingpins out of a Q-tip shaft to make the steering poseable. Unless I get completely bummed out that all the shapes for the spring hangers and wishbone mounts are wrong and scratchbuild a new setup.

The frame is pretty straight forward. It was designed as a fully boxed (which is incorrect) frame so I build it with matboard inside the rails to add strength. Thinking about what I need to do to build a correct channel frame with enough strength to support the model.

The fenders were (still are, they're a long way from finished) a chore. Got to figure a easier way to do them next time.

Don't have a photo but the basic engine is finished. I don't know what the designed used for reference on it, but it sort of a Ford 4 cylinder. At least its a 4 cylinder flathead. Haven't really measured it, but it looks about 5 inches too wide and several inches too high. That's my biggest problem visually with the kit so far. Everything seems like it a 50 footer as far as detail accuracy. I've spend a lot of time around early Fords which is all this is really with a different radiator badge and Cyrillic lettering on the gauges. Will continue on as I get time to work on it and see what I need to do to it build another as a more accurate Ford from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Angraf GAZ AA-gaz-aa-diff-firewall-brakedrums2.jpg   Angraf GAZ AA-gaz-aa-frame-ft-fender2.jpg   Angraf GAZ AA-gaz-aa-wheels2.jpg   Angraf GAZ AA-gaz-aa-ft-axle-parts2.jpg  
Google Adsense