PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up

Here's my current project. My boy child had the camera last week, so I couldn't start a proper build thread.

I'm using the laser parts that are available for this model (a first for me). Makes life a whole lot simpler! One caveat on the laser parts though, there are actually laser parts provided for parts that weren't supposed to be laminated in the first place. Sometimes this is good (as with the rear leaf springs - used without the kit pieces laminated to them), sometimes not (the flat part of the sidewalls should not be laminated onto the laser parts as it makes the sidewall pieces project out to far - oops). Laser tire treads are also provided but are too short to work as designed.

Here are a few pictures to show my progress.

Also, the templates for the wire parts don't seem to be represented correctly. The spindles and axle parts are shown too thin, the tie rod is too long, and the drive shaft is too thick.

The white spaces on the frame have some incorrect part numbers marked on them, stick with the numbers on the instruction sheet. I think this kit could have benefitted from more careful "proof-reading".

So far, I'm enjoying this build but don't think it would be a good model for the beginner.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1002.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1003.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1004.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks like a good start. Should be an interesting build - I love some of these more 'obscure' (so to speak) Modelik kits, they always look very interesting
Old 07-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Nice model choice. This all sounds like typical Modelik build. Sometimes completely unbuildable and others, it takes a lot of work but looks pretty good in the end.

Carl
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Here are a couple of photos with the engine and exhaust in place. The actual build up of the engine SHOULD be straightforward and easy, BUT:

1. There are not enough (or correctly oriented) drawings to show proper part location/orientation.
2. The numbering of parts does not correspond with the locating numbers on the parts or the inadequate drawings. A lot of guess work is required to figure out where and how some parts go.

The rear frame crossmember needs to be notched to allow the drive shaft to sit properly.

I hope the interior and body go together easier than this.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1006.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1007.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Dashboard and firewall assembly is done. No major issues here, other than location of part 51 and the drawing provided is for the sedan/taxi version of this model (FSO M-20), so it has extra parts labeled that do not exist for this kit.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1011.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1012.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1013.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Looks good, another on my long list of 'gotta do that one someday'.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM

More progress on the interior and body. Numbers still don't match between the drawings and parts. I think someone got lazy and just copied the drawings over from the sedan kit and did not update everything properly.

The inner fender needs trimmed at the top to clear the tire. See cut vs. uncut in photo 1.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1015.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1016.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1017.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Greg,
Wow, this looks very good! Some of these Modelik vehicles look very challenging to make with all the curves that go into their exteriors. I am always curious how they will turn out in the end. Add to that the other issues of directions (or lack thereof) and fit issues. It makes for real interesting reading for me. Thanks for sharing your build with us. I will be watching this one eagerly.
Phil
Old 07-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Here are more progress pictures. The front cab support cross piece needs trimmed at the bottom to fit properly (see photo).

I'm doing the body side pieces slowly to reduce wrinkles and gaps.

The body side parts are numbered 59 on the parts and 73 on the drawings.

Greg,
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1018.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1019.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1020.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1021.jpg  
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM

More cab construction pictures. Fit of the windshield was a bit vague and I had to trim the cowl piece to fit against it. I tried my best to eliminate gaps, but one or two remain. I had to draw door lines in the upper body strip running from the bed to the cowl piece. All this was a little more challenging than I had expected.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1022.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1023.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1026.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1027.jpg   FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1028.jpg  

FSO Warzawa 201 pick-up-dscn1029.jpg