PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The Comedy stand

Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Starting a Super Saber

This was sent to me by a good friend and paper modeler Bob Penikas.

Jim Nunn

Marine Ground Crew Finds F-100 'Super Sabre' Has an Unbelievable Starting Option

The F-100 Super Sabre had a large chamber to accept a large gas-generating cartridge. When ignited by electrical current, the expanding gas from the black powder-like pyrotechnic cartridge drove a starter turbine which brought the engine up to a self-sustaining RPM via a drive system.

This eliminated the need for heavy and bulky ground starting units, but the starter cartridge spewed out a characteristic dense cloud of choking black smoke, which was often mistaken by inexperienced ground crews for an engine fire.

The powder charge for the ground start came in a big sealed can, and upon opening and extracting the cartridge, you'd find two small metal tabs on the bottom of the cartridge. These tabs were the electrical contact that fired the cartridge when the pilot moved the throttle outboard on start, before bringing the throttle forward. As soon as a tiny RPM registered on the tachometer, you brought the throttle around the horn to feed fuel and engine ignition to the rapidly-building engine speed.

Sometimes the big metal receptacle that held the gas generator cartridge would get so dirty from repeated use that the metal tabs wouldn't make contact. Then the cartridge would refuse to fire, and the crew chief would give the starter receptacle a good healthy whack with a wooden wheel chock, usually curing the powder charge of any reluctance to detonate.

We'd often take a can containing a starter cartridge along with us as an alternative starting means on cross-country.

So, let the journey begin:

Then- USAF Captain John Green flew his F-100 one day into the Marine Corps Air Station (aka NAS Millington) outside of Memphis one day, back in the early '70s, for fuel.

He was met by a couple of young Marine ground crewmen, who asked what kind of plane he was flying. F-100 'Supersabre' only got him further puzzled looks. One of the ground crew said, " Sir, I don't think we have tech data on this bird. What do you need for start . . a huffer . . or just electrical"?

"Neither one," John replied with his tongue in his cheek. "If I can get, oh, about six of you guys to give me a push to start me rolling, I'll just 'pop the clutch' and get the engine started that way."

More and more doubtful looks, but, "Uhhh,Yessir," was the final comeback. What else would a young Marine say ?

The 'Hun' was pretty finely balanced aircraft on the two main gear struts, so when you tapped the toe brakes, the nose strut compressed so much that the nose would dip, just like the hood of cars used to dip when being clutch-started after a similar push from young friends.

So, now six Marines are standing at the ready, still doubtful, but not about to question an officer on 'procedure.'" Just get me going at about a fast walk," John called down from the cockpit. " I'll wave you all clear when we're fast enough, pop the clutch on this baby, and be on my way. And thanks for the good turnaround! "

With six Marines pushing, they quickly get the bird up to a brisk-stepping speed. John waves his arms, and the Marines warily stand well clear.

The nose dips as John "pops the clutch." There is a huge cloud of choking black smoke as the starter cartridge goes off, the Hun's engine whines into life, and off goes Captain Green to the end of the runway, leaving six puzzled Marines in his wake.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 890.46 MB
I saw something similar to this in a movie !
Ugh, what was the name of that movie ?
The plane crashes in the desert and they rebuild it totally wacky, with the passengers on top of the wings . . . I also remember a paper model of it !
And, I bet a thousand of you paper model fans remember the name of that move . . .
- AndrewO, in San Jose, California
Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 304.20 MB
Flight of the Phoenix

Theirs the original movie with Jimmy Stuart and the remake with Dennis Quade I like the remake better! but that me
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) - IMDb

Bobs Card Models has the two models.

Last edited by SCEtoAUX; 12-31-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Bob always has great stories. LOL!
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
The name of the starter in the movie "The Flight of the Phoenix" is Coffman starter or shotgun starter. These were standard equipment on US aircraft with radial engines. They were also used on US Armor that had radial engines.

Jim Nunn
Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Just to add interest to the story, Bob is a member of the forum, been so for quite a number of years
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.12 MB
DeHavilland Venom - YouTube
Old 10-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wink Gee,Coffman Starters ?

Listen here youse guys !
No one is supposed to know what I was doing on the wing when the wife was at the controls .
Plane - A very war weary first generation B-25 !
Yes ,on that plane were two little hatches .Supposed to be on the bottom of the engine nacelle , Close to the cylinders and cooling fins .
Must've been a field mod .Had to climb on top of the wing and " Give em a shot !" Got some funny looks before I had it fixed properly .
Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Good story, Jim. The British Canberra had such a starter system, from the '50's, no less! I recall a photo taken in VietNam of a bunch (built by Martin, B-58's(?)) starting....looked like they had been attacked! Just starter smoke.
Jim B
Google Adsense