PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The Comedy stand

Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
If you English - born - speakers think its difficult language... you are mistaken. Understanding it ts a matter of having some imagination while using its glorious vocabulary.

There are subtle differences between certain words which can be easy identified out of context, and many times I heard - there are multiple meanings to one word! yes, thats correct, also it makes it easier - one doesn't have to know million ways of saying the same (unless its irony or sarcasm or simply - figure of speech) .

Simplest thing about English and its difficulty... is number of people using it. If it was a difficult language there would be not that many people using it Also you have one fixed form for all sexes.... well, that makes it easier as well! and lack of other "forms" used in other languages. I am just laughing now, sorry! grammar is to be said to be so difficult cause there are ... erm.. 12 ? ish? tenses ... oh my... some languages go with 3 or even less and are really tricky....

Also, using other language gives perspective to English and one can really make out differences between "complete" and "finished" (Finnish-ed - like soviets in Winter War LOL), "precise", "accurate" and "exact" :D

Also it depends on "posh-ness" of the speaker all them different meanings and words assigned to social classes..... :D posh - smart, napkin - serviette, settee- sofa etc etc.... Hence, foreigners can have better perception of language than English born speakers as they understand it through their own, hence they can refer back or to other words or meanings used not in English and actually make sense out of it even more than ... language natives

It does not come within a day or two though. It is a matter of years and obviously practice and fun of communicating And dont get me wrong I do make mistakes, after all its not my original language, but I am really enjoying using it, cause its easier than my own LOL

Cheers
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
Please let me get this right....

Going back o the beginning of this thread, as long as people keep posting and viewing this thread, it is not complete.
However, if I decide to stop viewing or posting I am finished with it.
Therefore the thread can be AT THE SAME TIME "Finished" and "Incomplete". If the thread is closed, then it is not only, from my point of view, "Finished" AND "Complete".
Frankly, (or should that be "Elizabethly") I've had enough and I'm now completely finished with the whole thing.
I think I'm drinking too much again.
Liz
Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
I always thought incontinent meant that you were somewhere in Europe, as apposed to being in the UK.
It merely means someone who cannot handle their water, or beer. Continence means they are already handling it but are reclining.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Guy sits down at the Bar.
Orders a Beer.
Sees a dish of peanuts on the bar and reaches out to grab some..
Hears a voice... "hi pal...you're looking good tonight!"
Dumbfounded, he looks up at the bartender.
Bartender says "the Nuts?... oh they're complimentary."
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
guy sits down at the bar.
Orders a beer.
Sees a dish of peanuts on the bar and reaches out to grab some..
Hears a voice... "hi pal...you're looking good tonight!"
dumbfounded, he looks up at the bartender.
Bartender says "the nuts?... Oh they're complimentary."
groannnnn.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
Jokes ? You want jokes?

The bartender was lazily washing glasses just before the lunchtime rush when the door opened and in walks a duck with a newspaper under it's arm, calmly walks up to the bar, takes as stool and sits down.
"Pint of bitter please mate" it says.
The astonished barman shakily pulls the duck a pint, and walks away. The duck opens his paper and sits reading and drinking until finished, says "Cheers mate" and walks out.
A talking duck ! The man cannot believe his ears!
The next day at the same time the whole routine is repeated, duck, paper, pint "Cheers" and away.
When on the third day the duck comes in again for his beer the bartender can no longer hold back, he serves the duck, and as casually as possible says "You know, with a talent like yours, you should join a circus, they would pay a fortune to someone like you!"
The duck ponders this news for a while, and looking slightly bewildered says to the barman...
"What would a circus want with a plasterer ?"

Last edited by sprogs; 11-24-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 11-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
the funniest thing i find is when english speakers<especially us raised in uk>dont understand the great art of words and sayings having double meanings,I talk regularly with people to who english is not there first language.I frequently have to bite my tongue when they come out with the most innocent comments and all i can see is the double meaning,Its very entertaining

Last edited by herky; 11-24-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: errors
Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Same sound, different spelling, different meaning.

Q.....What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?

A......Damn.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by darter View Post
Same sound, different spelling, different meaning.

Q.....What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?

A......Damn.
what do you call a dead irishman
peat<pete>
Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.25 GB
If you don't abuse it, is it abuse? If you can't excuse it, what's your excuse? If you refuse it, is it refuse? If you can't use it, what's the use? Each word has two different pronunciations. To split hairs, I don't speak "English", I speak "American". But is there really a difference?
Google Adsense