PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The Comedy stand

Old 07-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
AAArrgh, Jim lad !

it was back in the 1700's when piracy was rife and press gangs were everywhere.
Into the smoking room of the "Rat and Gopher" tavern came a young man, perhaps a little over press gang age, perhaps not.
By the side of the bar sat an old "Sea Dog",
eyepatch, wooden leg hook and all.
"shall engage him in thought the young man.
"Good day old sea dog" he offered as an intro, "How fare you this fine seafaring day ?"
"I be dry as I can be and still speak without the ease of fine drink" He replied.
"Good Innkeeper, please bring us both a large tankard of your best at my expense" shouted the youngster, "And a cool libation for all who are with us this day."
At this he was everyone's friend.
So !
He turned to the old seadog and said, "I see by your trousers that you are one short in the leg department, pray how came this about ?"
"Aaarghh, well " said his new friend, it was like this. We were a'sail on the Spanish coastal waters when from nowhere came upon us a Government galley, they boarded us and though I fought valiantly they hacked off my right leg", "The next day I had the wooden one fitted"
"Brave man, you must drink again at my expense"
"I also notice that you are deficient in the hand department"
"AAarggh well y'see sir, we was sailing off the carribbean coast when we were overtaken by a government galley, they boarded us and though I fought valiantly they took off my hand at the wrist, the next day I had the hook fitted."
"Courage beyond belief my good friend !, You and I must drink another toast to your bravery"
"May I ask once more good sir, I see that where most have two, you have only one eye"
"Mutter, mutter, mutter"
"I prithee sir, I did not quite catch your words"
"Mutter, mutter, mutter"
"Still sir, I cannot make out your words "
"All right matey, all right . If you must know a seagull shat in my eye".
"Really, but that is but an inconvenience, all one must do is wipe it from one's eye!"
"Aaaah well, normally so sir, but this was just the day after I'd had the hook fitted...........
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
AAArrgh, Jim lad !

Now there was a proper pirate. Much as I enjoyed the PoTC films with Johnny Depp's brilliant interpretation of Cap'n Jack, Robert Newton's portrayal of Long John Silver is still by far the best film pirate ever for me.

Not so long back I tripped over a box of second hand DVDs for a fiver and just couldn't resist them. Treasure Island ... Return to Treasure Island ... and many more covering the Long John Silver television series. I would still have bought them if they'd been VHS tapes. I'm slowly working my way through them, and thoroughly enjoying every minute. As I said at the beginning ... Now there was a proper Pirate.

Aaarrgh, Jim lad, aaarrgh.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM

The amazing thing is that before Robert Newton's brilliant portrayal of Silver no-one spoke "Like a Pirate ". They just spoke normally but with a roughish accent. Since then, however, ALL Pirates speak like him don't they Jim lad. A-Haaar!.
Liz
Old 07-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
You forget another famous pirate.
Attached Thumbnails
AAArrgh, Jim lad !-captain-pugwash-solo-2017-logo_zpswit9fjqz.jpg  
Old 07-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprogs View Post
The amazing thing is that before Robert Newton's brilliant portrayal of Silver no-one spoke "Like a Pirate ". They just spoke normally but with a roughish accent. Since then, however, ALL Pirates speak like him don't they Jim lad. A-Haaar!.
Liz
The very same thing happened with vampires -- all the subsequent ones spoke like Bela Lugosi.
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM

And don't forget the most famous pirate of all '''

As to the speak like a pirate thing The opening sequences of Treasure Island were set in Cornwall and Robert Newton being from Dorset, it wasn't hard for him to take the mickey out of his neighbouring county's accent. He wasn't doing the 'Talk like a pirate' thing ... in his mind he was talking like a Cornish yokel. but it stuck fast and now ALL pirates talk like that. Or try to.

It would be interesting to know if the phrase "Aaaargh Jim lad, aaaargh." did actually appear in R.L.Stephenson's narrative. Anyone got the book handy? All I've got are the DVD films.

Last edited by JohnM; 07-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Will be here before you know it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...e_a_Pirate_Day
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM

We had our local Annual Pirates weekend just a few weeks back now.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on...atest-14574387

The Cap'n Jack look alike is exceptionally good.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Yes it is amazing how Hollywood has affected our perceptions of history. Pirates, aliens, Moses ala Charlton Heston. Cleopatra ala Elizabeth Taylor.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Too right, Michael. Does anyone remember the film (I think it was called "The greatest story ever told")? All sorts of famous people (Including Heston) took cameo parts.
My favourite part is at the finale when John Wayne, in his best "Geeht aaaff yuur Horse" Says "Trooly he wuz the sun aaav gaaahd"
Please don't feel offended anyone, but in his centurion's outfit he looked as authentic as a chocolate spanner and would have only looked better with a six gun and rifle over his shoulder.
Maybe we should have a "Talk like John Wayne" day !