PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The Comedy stand

Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.32 MB
Wink Forget new laser cutting devices go old school ( this is a joke)

I thought this would be a good joke (or maybe funny) for what we do, at least what we want when it comes time to cut out thicker material.

Here is a link to a restoration of an old portable powered jigsaw. It is about 25 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2IbkusiUk

If you watch the whole video there is a lot of effort into making look new and getting it to run again. When you get to the time stamp of 21:35, you will see what it is good for.

The irony party ( or at least I thought might make a good joke)

I saw him take the very small blade off in the first part of the video and thought it was just a broken stub of a wood blade. However, when he sharpened it and start cutting the cardboard box, I laughed and thought "Oh man it cuts better than I do by hand!" Then all the new laser cutters we all want popped in my head and I started laughing and had to share this with you guys.

I like watching these restoration videos while eating breakfast, its better than reading the news. I get a lot of satisfaction seeing something that is old and broken being brought back to life (maybe not full strength). It is kind of inspirational for the start of a new day.

Okay enough of my horrible, bad attempt at humor (wife says if I have to explain it, then it is not funny.)

Everyone get back to building models!!!

Cheers,
Todd
Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
sat mesmerized until the end............amazing

My Drawings
Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
That thing they are working on is a Cut Awl, I have one at my shop that I use occasionally. Mine was made in 1917. Anyhoo, they were originally made (or so I have been told) to cut stacks of fabric for clothing manufacturers. However, they proved to be so handy they quickly migrated to the sign business. I used mine to cut stencils for political signs but have also used it cut out individual letters of light material (upson board) for interior signs. I think they were also very popular with window dressers and for set construction.

Last time I checked they were still being made and are essentially the same, though they have a fancier case.

Mike
Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Todd.

What a wonderful (and functional tool).

Here is a list of the materials it can cut - have a look at it. Very interesting.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I too have a Cut Awl. A little newer, made in the late 40's, but very similar. No rust. Mine was used to cut samples of boxes from corrugated paper. For large items it did a good job on curves and the blade could be locked to make long straight cuts. Sure beat cutting with a small knife! As the demand for fancy boxes diminished (cost, mostly) came along, it was retired. Now is somewhere in my storage room, in it's imitation leather covered wood box. I believe they are still available, as well as blades. Jim B
Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Pity there is not a miniature one available.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Yes KevinWS, a miniature might be just the ticket! But the full size is somewhat of a brute, weighing in at about 10 lbs.! Not much fun after about half hour of moving around. You might say it has "authority"! Maybe Micro Models will add one to their line.

Jim B
Old 10-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
The weight never bothered me cause the thing just slides around on the surface. The toughest part for me is bending over the slide it around. Most of the stuff I used it for was fairly large, 4' x 4', 2'x8', and 4' x 8'. I always kept a pocket stone and an emory board handy to touch up the chisel blade I usually used. I could cut circles in 1/4" and 3/8" inch stock as small as 1/2".

Since mine is so old I always oiled all the wicks and things before I used it. For a drive belt I use a piece of a motorcycle inner tube, lol.

Mike