PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale

Vincent Justus Burnelli (November 22, 1895 – June 22, 1964) was was one of the first American designers to capitalize on the "flying wing" design. In the 1920s, he produced two biplane transports with large, airfoil-shaped fuselages that contributed a considerable portion of the airplane's lift. Burnelli's goal was to develop a more efficient airplane that could carry a large payload. Burnelli referred to his lifting body transports as "flying wings", but his production aircraft invariably retained some kind of a tail, frequently supported by upswept booms that extended rearward. More correctly, Burnelli employed a "lifting body" design, rather than a true "flying wing" like the B2 Stealth Bomber where all major aeronautical components are within the wing.

The 1930 - UB-20 was the first American aircraft to employ the use of flat metal stressed-skin construction. In 1934, for promotional purpose, the Sun Oil Company employed the use of the Burnelli UB-20 to carry a Ford automobile to sub-zero temperatures at altitude to prove the performance of their petroleum products under extremely low temperatures. In flight, a brave mechanic descended into the automobile and started the engine at sub-zero temperatures!!

The UB-20 aircraft externally appears to suit paper construction with very few compound curves. After a time obtaining images (never enough and expensive!!) I created an original drawing for this spectacular if awkward aircraft. With a 23 inch wingspan this will be a large model and an impressive addition to any civilian collection of aircraft from that era. I attach an image of the initial build showing the fuselage and the wings. All pretty rough at this stage of course...
Attached Thumbnails
Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-ub-20.jpg   Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-burnelli.jpg   Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-ub-20-front.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Woof!! I am definitely in for this when it is released...big and beautiful (well, big anyways)...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Ta Simon..one day you should make it up to Kaiwaka and have a cuppa. This makes the much and unfairly maligned Farmans appear transcendentally beautiful! Hope all well down by the mountain.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
A most interesting and required build!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bravo!

I remember when I first read about the Burnelli aircraft in aviation and science magazines in the 1950s. This latest Contour Creative project brings all that back to mind.

You are sure to draw a lot of interest with this one.

Don

PS: You WILL include a model of the 1934 Ford, won't you?
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Unhappy Sometimes a good idea is just not enough.

Burnelli was certainly a very good designer that was a practical engineer. Why not shape the fuselage like a wing ( a lifting body )? Unfortunately there were so many designs and ideas at that time, that it was difficult to compete. On top of that you need lots of capital and supporters.

Anyhow, I got to see his last design called the CBY-3 Loadmaster built in 1945. The aircraft flew for a few short years and as the other prototypes it never went into production. Burnelli had 8 prototypes from 1925 to 1945.

This example is in the New England aviation museum in Windsor Locks Connecticut ( USA ). I saw it in 2006. I may be wrong, but there was allot of politics at that museum and they may have destroyed this plane on purpose.

Here are some photos I took.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-dscn5608.jpg   Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-dscn5602.jpg   Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-dscn5606.jpg   Burnelli UB-20 1934 'Flying wing airliner' 1/48 scale-dscn5610.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
I'm sure to follow this build :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I always found the Burnelli aircraft fascinating. I still wonder how the actual shape of fuselage and wing looks like, so I'll be looking with great interest. I hope this model becomes available!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I always found the Burnelli aircraft fascinating. I still wonder how the actual shape of fuselage and wing looks like, so I'll be looking with great interest. I hope this model becomes available!
LIkewise, a fascinating and incredibly rich period of aircraft design. Absolutely, this will be made available. Enjoying the comments on this thread. Had little idea that there would be much interest in this design. At present I am just working on the tail booms.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Nice model. It's interesting to note that the earlier RB 2 biplane carried it's motorcar (and showroom ) internally.
Picture down page at
Burnelli- RB-2
Google Adsense