PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Siddleley 'Puma' Engine in 1/48 scale

The 240 h.p. Siddeley Puma was a common but not particularly popular engine in the early 'twenties.. It powered the De Havilland 9 and despite its shortcomings, managed some significant aviation achievements.

I like to read around the subject and this passage from 'The Wandering Years' by Arthur Affleck from 1928.

"The method of starting-up a Siddeley "Puma" engine was to completely soak two mutton cloth pads in petrol, jam these pads into the engine breathers and then, by hand, pull the propeller around for about a dozen revolutions. this had the same effect as operating the choke on a car, and enabled a very rich mixture to be drawn into the cylinders. Then, having removed the petrol soaked pads from the breathers and juggled the propeller until a suitable compression was felt, the pilot, if he was without engineering or other knowledgeable assistance, would race around or duck under the wing, climb up into the cockpit, switch the ignition on and wind madly at a small handle which actuated a starting magneto and, if he was lucky, would throw a nice fat spark into the cylinder on compression, thus igniting the mixture and starting the engine..."

Currently I am designing the Fokker III and the relativity visibility of the 'Puma' engine made it an ideal subject to create in more detail as attached..

ROSIE
Attached Thumbnails
Siddleley 'Puma' Engine in 1/48 scale-siddeley-engine-sml.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Looks great, sadly my fingers are too fat and my eyesight too dodgy to build it in that scale.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Another gem!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great looking model, but after reading your description of starting it not sure I would want a match close to it....even in model form.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I like to read this kind of report, I use to read them in the old Flight magazines or in WW1 Aero and other magazines.Thank you. The Fokker II by JB models is on my list,but I understand Your Fokker III will be in 1/48 scale,so I will wait fo Yours. And I would apreciate if You scale up to 1/48 the civil DH4a (any one of them is ok for me); and still waiting for Farman Jabiru
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Neat engine design there, I'm a sucker for engine models..