PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Designing paper models typically involves repeated construction of the same structures. This is because there are different design options for achieving a structure and in the course of creating the model these alternatives become apparent. There is a sudden insight where you realise that an improved model may result and Sisyphus-like, you decide to redesign the thing yet again. As well as the tedious reconstruction this also postpones work on other model designs. All models have aspects that are relatively straightforward as well as things that can challenge and vex the paper designer. In addition the different design solutions have to accommodate the variations associated with the original artifact. In the case of the Stout 2-AT where the production was 11 aircraft, there were differences in the placement and shape of windows, the main wing and the engine cowling.

Most of the design problems for the Stout 2-AT came from the wing. Originally we created the ailerons as independent structures to be glued into the main wing. We abandoned this because they detracted from the overall appearance, although as you can see in the images of the 1/48 prototype the presentation of the model was acceptable.

We are well advanced with the instructions so expect to see the Stout 2AT to be released in the next few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford 2AT airliner 1924 1/48-ford-2at-sideunder-sml.jpg   Ford 2AT airliner 1924 1/48-ford2at-front-sml.jpg   Ford 2AT airliner 1924 1/48-ford-2at-topshot-sml.jpg   Ford 2AT airliner 1924 1/48-ford-2at-nice-top-shot-sml.jpg   Ford 2AT airliner 1924 1/48-f-2at-underwing-sml.jpg  

Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runkle View Post
Great job on the windows. Your approach to the optical illusion of transparency is brilliant.

Runkle
Thanks for that, quite a bit of experimenting on that over the years..I'm hoping that when the model is released some enterprising modeler will cut out the windows and replace them with thin clear plastic, relatively straightforward when you have a 2ply fuselage.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A beautiful model of a classic airplane. Great work once again Rosie and Terry!

Don
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM

thanks Don..I thought there would have been a bit more interest in this one but a very quiet response...
Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Given the history of the airplane, the quality of the model, and the interesting comments on the design and construction I'm surprised too. It just might take a while for the Golden Age Aviation fans to pick up on it.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Forgive me for jumping in late, I'm very interested it this one and will purchase it as soon as it becomes available.
Wayne
Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
My interest is mostly geographical....i live in northern ohio and these aircraft were frequent visitors to this area back then. Thus my same interest in the ford trimotor. Of course im old and i like old things as well again my reason for my interest strictly in Pre WWII stuff! Sorry, i wish there were more of me for your benefit! Don is almost as old as me! Lol!!!! Just kidding Don!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
I've all you airliners. I'm very interesting on this one. Looks great BTW.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
I get my copy too if avaliable!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
That is one beautiful model!

Dave
Google Adsense