PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 05-17-2014, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
Is there any chance I could convince you to try a Fairchild 24?
Fairchild 24 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think it's one of the prettiest lightplanes of the 30's and many possibilities for different paint schemes, radial and inline engines, etc.
Wayne
I don't think I would need THAT much convincing Wayne rather the old schedule is pretty full for the next 18 months!!. However we are working on the amazing (and ill-fated) Bellanca Blue streak, the Curtiss Kingbird and upscaling the AW Cessna and Travel Air 5000 which we were working on in 1/72 scale some time back. Cheers.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That is an excellent slate of projects!

Don
Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
A new air museum is opening in Atlanta this summer, in an old Delta Hangar at the site of the original airfield, which was called Candler Field. Here is the museum website Home. One ofthe aircraft that will be on display looks suspiciously like a Fairchild I am not sure what all will be in the collection, but they ought to have some materials on the old Terminal building. Let me know what it is particularly that you are looking for (like which year), and I'll make an expedition out there when it opens to see what I can find.

Googling this, I discovered there is a second museum out at the Atlanta Airport still in the pupal stage but open for business. This one is called the Natioanal Commercial Aviation Museum, and it seems to be more focused on the terminals and airports than on the planes. I did not know about this place, and may be able to make a trip out to see it soon. Air Museum - Aviation Museum - National Museum of Commercial Aviation Lived here 30 years, and am still discovering stuff every week. Cheers,
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
A new air museum is opening in Atlanta this summer, in an old Delta Hangar at the site of the original airfield, which was called Candler Field. Here is the museum website Home. One ofthe aircraft that will be on display looks suspiciously like a Fairchild I am not sure what all will be in the collection, but they ought to have some materials on the old Terminal building. Let me know what it is particularly that you are looking for (like which year), and I'll make an expedition out there when it opens to see what I can find.

Googling this, I discovered there is a second museum out at the Atlanta Airport still in the pupal stage but open for business. This one is called the Natioanal Commercial Aviation Museum, and it seems to be more focused on the terminals and airports than on the planes. I did not know about this place, and may be able to make a trip out to see it soon. Air Museum - Aviation Museum - National Museum of Commercial Aviation Lived here 30 years, and am still discovering stuff every week. Cheers,
This is all exciting stuff Rob. I have extracted a few Atlanta images from my collection of vintage aviation magazines of that era and have made fruitless enquiries of Historic societies. My observation, as an outsider, is that the early years are very poorly addressed by many US Museums and historic institutions, probably for the reason that little in the way of photographic records survives. I will wait with interest.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM

The strut work on many of the aircraft of this era can be tricky. Struts can have a nasty habit of flexing and warping which is quite undesirable.

On the tail section, the struts supporting the tail plane are very fine and we have used Evergreen .020 rod (0.50 mm) styrene and painted them. Another approach could be to use thin slivers of bamboo and roll them in thin paper but plastic does the job very well and has the best profile.

For the struts supporting the main plane, laminations of paper were used. The four ply (4x) nature of their construction, achieves the desired delicacy and eliminates the warping, the adhesive adding to the strength. They were also coated with clear acrylic and then, when touch dry, left under a weight with a clean surface to flatten. The struts were then glued in place with 2-part resin which we recommend for most undercarriage work.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
-fairchild-struts.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Pratt and Whitney Wasp Aero Engine 1/48

Pratt and Whitney Wasp aero engine in 1/48 scale. Each cylinder head has been rolled into shape from a single piece of paper with some origami nuances. The design took an excessive amount of fussing. This isn't quite completed as yet, with the 18 individual rocker arms and boxes an OCD consideration..

Haven't done any touch-up work on this and to give you a sense of scale this is posed next to a NZ$1 coin featuring our national bird, ironically, the flightless Kiwi.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
-pratt-whitney-wasp-engine.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM

Interesting techniques for the struts and engine cylinders.

Don
Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Looking forward to the release of this model. Any update?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Rosy Louise and Terry (Contour Creative/Air Classique) haven't posted for a long time. Hope all is well with them.

Don
Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Rosy Louise and Terry (Contour Creative/Air Classique) haven't posted for a long time. Hope all is well with them.

Don
I had the same thought. Love their work.
Google Adsense