PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
'WASP' radial engine in 1/48 scale

The Pratt and Whitney Wasp (and Hornet) engines in 1928 were installed in 45 different types of planes, both military and commercial, and were used by more than 25 operators in the US alone.

Being part of so many aircraft of that era means that getting a reasonable, to scale, representation of this engine is important given our design range.

The engine was designed with a card 2-ply wheel with nine 'spokes' on which the individual cylinder heads were mounted. Each head was rolled from an individual piece of paper.

The detail of the push rods and rocker boxes, while not essential, give a far more realistic look to the model. The rockers boxes are folded from minute pieces of paper and the rod created out of 0.25 Evergreen styrene painted gray and fitted individually. A minute blob of white glue is then dropped in the front of the folded rocker box to give them better shape and touched up with gray paint. Doing all this will take between 2 to 3 hours per engine.

The engine, shown here without exhaust manifold on the Fairchild FC-2 prototype, is slightly over scale, but being such a visible part of the plane, contributes much to the appearance of the model.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
'WASP' radial engine in 1/48 scale-wasp-engine-construction.jpg   'WASP' radial engine in 1/48 scale-wasp-engine-detail.jpg   'WASP' radial engine in 1/48 scale-wasp-engine-situ.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Most excellent craftsmanship, Terry! Is the engine your own design or is it from a kit?

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Old 05-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
That looks fantastic. There are several models out there that would be greatly improved with one of those in the nose.
Wayne
Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
Most excellent craftsmanship, Terry! Is the engine your own design or is it from a kit?

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.)
Thanks. This is our own (Contour Creative Studio) design. It will be released in conjunction with the Fairchild FC-2 next month.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
That looks fantastic. There are several models out there that would be greatly improved with one of those in the nose.
Wayne
Well hoping to get a few more modelers interested in the first civilian aircraft designs and deco airports. Always seems to me that one of the virtues of paper was it could represent the unrepresented; with the World War I and II aviation military scene over-catered for in every modeling medium and every conceivable scale.
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's an excellent engine, although I am not sure I have the skill to fold the cylinder heads and rocker boxes.

Don
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
It's an excellent engine, although I am not sure I have the skill to fold the cylinder heads and rocker boxes.

Don
Tweezers and a wee bit of time..
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I know from building the GeeBee that this little engine is a formidable challenge.
Its great to see another version!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I know from building the GeeBee that this little engine is a formidable challenge.
Its great to see another version!
Dave,the compelling reasons for this design was the proliferation of exposed radials of that era and our list of upcoming designs that use the engine. We'd has a go at them in the past, with the abandoned 1/72, but these are completely redesigned and also 1/48 permits a bit more detail, like the spark plug leads.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
'WASP' radial engine in 1/48 scale-paper-model-radial-engine-sml.jpg  
Old 08-27-2021, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
I just found this old thread and I love it! One thig is that the link on the signature to Ecardmodels is broken. it should be: Contour Creative Studio. I think that when you update your signature it will update all of your old posts.