PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 03-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..

Rosie and I are at present working on an illustrated book that focuses on the style and design of airports during the 1920s and 1930s. What we are looking for in particular are images of Schiphol and Haren suitable for reproduction and or a basis for art. There are a large number of photograph postcards of that era that may be suitable. Any other airport images of the era are welcome.

So if this is of interest or in your area, I would particularly like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Terry Moyle
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Talking Why yes please!

Anything art deco is an interest of mine. I'll be following your progress and greatly look forward to seeing your project!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
this is from the architect firm that worked on the reconstruction of Schiphol at the Aviodrome in Flevoland in the Netherlands

Schiphol 1928 - noorderlicht architekten
plus they have a kit of the airport with a small model of the DC-2 De Uiver
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 518.43 MB
Art Deco airports -Liverpool Speke

Hi,
Have you considered the old Speke airport at Liverpool, not the new John Lennon one. It is one of the finest art deco airports in the world, It is now an hotel. I got these photos off the internet.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..-9213942749_0b5b024f47_b.jpg   New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..-airfrance766.jpg   New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..-imagehangars.jpg   New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..-imagesspeke.jpg   New Art Deco Airport Book..Help wanted..-p-51satspeke.jpg  

Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRo View Post
Hi,
Have you considered the old Speke airport at Liverpool, not the new John Lennon one. It is one of the finest art deco airports in the world, It is now an hotel. I got these photos off the internet.
Bob
Thanks for the feedback people. Bob, Speke Airport is on the list, but getting prewar images proves tough. The biggest obstacle we face is people not getting back. Have been in discussions for over a month with New Orleans (Shushan)...truly the big easy.

Terry
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2015, 10:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
How about the 1934 Pan Am Seaplane terminal on Biscayne Bay, now completely restored and in use as Miami City Hall?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 PM

A couple of days to go..will share some bits when it is sorted..and Miami is in there..and 30 others...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Here is a clip from an old movie that stars a cameo performance by the St Louis Airport. The movie is Hollywood Hotel (1937), the song is Hooray for Hollywood, the airliner in the back ground (NC 13786) might be a DC 2, and the director none other than Busby Berkeley. Enjoy: Hollywood Hotel -- (Movie Clip) Hooray For Hollywood!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 AM

Learned a little more about the airport in the movie clip. My Los Angeles friends tell me it was the Glendale airport, Los Angeles' first commercial airport. It still exists, though now is owned by the Disney company. Here may be more than you want to know about that. BTW, the airliner can be best seen in the movie clip at 2'44", where the distinctive engine cowlings mark it as a DC-2. Disney Making Over Terminal at LA's First Commercial Airport - Adaptive Reuse - Curbed LA
Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great film clip, Rob. We only see the terminal briefly, but good shots of DC-2 NC 13786 (C/N 1296), TWA ship #324, "which was delivered to TWA in February 1935 and flew in their fleet until April 3, 1940 when it crashed at Pittsburgh." [http://dc3dakotahistory.org/douglas-dc-2/douglas-dc-2/]

I'm really looking forward to the book, Terry and Rosie!

Don
Google Adsense