PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Contour Creative Studio's Projects

Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 668.33 MB
Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise

I received my copy of Art Deco Airports, by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise. Of course we have all seen their beautiful web site and drooled over their classic models. This book combines the history of the golden age of aviation with the construction of airports that reflected the esthetic of the period. The authors are able to capture the excitement of being at the airport for the average person, of flying as part of the upper-class lifestyle, and the civic commitment to air-mindedness of leaders in large and mid-size cities in Great Britain, Europe, and the United States.

I don’t have the words to describe the quality of the illustrations—lush, dreamy, detailed—I don’t know. They thrill me when I turn the pages. The illustrations of architectural details captivate the reader and help to convey the character of these structures. As I read the text, I “drove” to some of these airports using Google Earth. Some remain and still show little glimmers of what they once were.

This is a book that will be on our coffee table for a long time. If you are a fan of this era or appreciate great aviation art and stories this book is for you. Makes me want to build another classic plane and visit some of these airports.

Unfortunately, our classic terminal at STL is long gone. In my day it served only as the flight service station before that moved. It's nice to see pictures of the place in its heyday.

I’m posting this little review here because I know the authors have many fans. Don’t want this to get lost in the book section. I hope the authors will find time to finish their Fairchild projects. Best wishes to them and thanks for this wonderful book.
Attached Thumbnails
Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-art-deco.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Let me add my praise for this magnificent book and for its companion volume: Art Deco New Zealand. I can only echo C9B's comments.

I have always liked Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise's style in art and modeling. These books bring together their love of art, architecture, aviation, and the art deco era.

I purchased my copies through Unity Books (http://unitybooks.nz/) and found them (especially Jacqui Brokenshaw) to be exceptionally helpful and friendly. They have a system of international payment that made ordering very easy, and the books arrived in quick time.

Thanks and best wishes to Terry and Rosie for many more painting, models, and books.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-moyle-louise_art_deco_01.jpg   Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-moyle-louise_art_deco_02_newzealand.jpg   Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-moyle-louise_art_deco_03_newzealand.jpg   Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-moyle-louise_art_deco_04_airports.jpg   Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-moyle-louise_art_deco_05_airports.jpg  

Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Thanks for the info and review. Maybe later in the year, right now have some heavy haulage and vintage truck books on order from GB so have to let the credit card cool down a bit.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9B View Post
Of course we have all seen their beautiful web site and drooled over their classic models.
I've missed it somewhere. This book is now on list of books to get!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Contour Creative website: Contour Creative Studio - Illustration Design Models Postcards Prints and Poetry

The models page: Front Page Model

Aircraft (some of which are available through ECardmodels): Scale paper Models

Airport dioramas and the DH-4A: Scale Models3

Rosie Louise's beautiful postcards: Postcards Front page
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I got my copy through The Book Depository...good price and free shipping worldwide...I'm about 1/2 through it but enjoying every page...
Old 08-19-2017, 05:46 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Ok you got me. I just had to go and check out the airport Art Deco book. Well, you guessed it, I ordered myself a copy.
Thanks guys. Now I'll never be able to afford that manision and a yacht. LOL!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Sadly I saw many Art Deco Airports still surviving in Africa - my intention was to record them, but I never did. Always "tomorrow" - which of course never came!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Kevin. Indeed I know all to well now you feel about the, I'll do it tomorrow stuff goes. I was a corporate pilot and got to travel all around the world but never took pictures of the places I flew to. For instance. Trekked the back country of the UK and throughout Europe, looking for old WW II air bases. Got chased by some, but welcomed by others. Same thing evey place I went. Would look around but never document it by taking a simple photo, as in film, back then.
If only I had taken photos back then. I'm sure many of the places all over the globe I visited are not even there any longer. Even if they were, now I couldn't afford to travel to all those places. Being retired.
Guess we'll just have to have the memories to go by.
Let this be a word of advice. Now adays as just about everyone has a phone that takes good pictures, just shoot away. You would regret it later in life.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rich - too true. My travelling days are really just about done now, so thoughts of going back etc. are now just that - thoughts!

Many of the places I saw are now more - stripped and gone.