PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I was wondering if you could touch on how you make up the base for you models. I always thought that the bases were a special touch that made your models stand out from the others. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
OK, no getting lazy with this crew. To make the base I simply copied and pasted the base onto another "page". You will not that I have little room to work with for a base, but enough. I ran the base ends all the way to the edges of the "paper", then added fold down front and back borders, in wood tone. I had to do the end boarders in seperate pieces, they are also wood tone. Because the base is large, I also added a center brace and three cross braces. I manipulated the "water" texture in size and color to get the basic look I wanted, the wake will be added in gimp. The text was added in with the "text" button. The back ground boarder in 12 feet high so I used letters 9 feet in height. Anyhow, there's a base, not too bad. This ship is almost too long for a single sheet base!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-75.jpg   CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-76.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Ok, open up your parts page in Sketch up and your gimp and lets make parts!
zoom in aon a page, in this case, my diagram page and make sure your "paper's" edges are visible. Then go to "file" and then to "export" Export the model as a 2-D graphic. Go to options and choose a size that works for you. I always pick something like 6400 just because I know I will be croping and shrinking in gimp and want as much clarity to start with as possible. It may take some time to export it, also, it will try to save to documents. I prefer it to save to a file folder on my desktop, in this case, one named CSS Texas. I export all five "pages" to the Texas folder. We are now none with sketchup for now. Everything now will be done in Gimp!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-77.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Anyone still with me??
OK, in Gimp, open up your pages. I use a separate Gimp page per page. You should come up with a copy of your sketchup export. We will have to crop the page to your "paper" edges. Take care here, so the sizes come out the same, this way, when printed, each page will be in the same scale with each other one. After cropping I use the image button to transform the page from horizontal to vertical. Go a head and do this to all five pages.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-78.jpg   CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-79.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Still following and enjoying this thread. I need a true step by step "Design for Dummies" before I can tackle my own design, but this thread is very helpful.
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
The way I have been making sure all parts are to scale, is to start with a blank template for each scale I will be making. On the blank template, I start with a white rectangle to represent the final size page after shrunking. For example, if I want a 1/250 scale model, I will make the rectangle 2750 inches (250 X 11 inch) by 2125 inches (250 X 8.5 inches). I then use "WorkPlane" under the tools drop down menu (you did download the Workplane plug-in, didn't you?) to add a workplane to cover the white rectangle (2750" X 2125"). I then move the WorkPlane above the white rectangle. The purpose for this is to keep the model parts that will be pasted into the template separate from the white rectangle representing the final page boundries. I have found that if I don't do this, some of the part's textures get lost in the white rectangle. I also add a thin rectangle 2500" X 4" on the workplane split into 10 equal segments of 250" X 4" each. This becomes the ruler on each page that can be used to make sure the final printed sheet is the same scale as all the other pages. Save this page as "Blank 250 Scale Template", so it can be used as the starting point for all other parts pages. If you want to be fancy, you can also add a border inside the white rectangle to make sure parts don't get too close to the page edges and be in danger of being chopped off by your printer.

Now you can cut parts off your design, and after unfolding they can be placed directly on the blank template. Just make sure you rename the template before you save it. If fact, I rename it immediately after I put anything on it, because SketchUp does an automatic save every few minutes and it might mess up the blank sheet you will need for other pages.

After I finish placing the parts where I want them, I will use the ruler tool over the 2500" rectangle and resize it to 10", reducing the size of the parts from full size to model size. I then save the page as a new file. It can then be exported as a 2d image at 300 pixels/inch.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 PM

To avoid the texture loss, I make the background white and "cut the plane created by my "paper" boundary. Otherwise, the same general idea. I run a acer mini laptop so any programs or plugins I do not absolutely need I avoid downloading. I want my big computer back!!
CT
Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
When is the next lesson?

Hi,

When is the next lesson? I attached a pic of my first attempt at the CSS Texas! I need to know how to create a backdrop pic box with all the views so I can make an accurate 3D model? And, what type of picture file format works best with GSU, my backdrop images are fuzzy with JPG, should I use a BMP, I don't think GSU can use GIF? I have very accurate 6 view line drawings of ironclads but when I convert to JPG and Import them into GSU the edge of the lines blurr.

This tutorial has been Grrrrrrreat so far! I guess I can't expect to master GSU in one day!

Sincerely,
Ironcladman
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas-iso.jpg  

Last edited by Ironcladman; 01-14-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Left out Information!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
Nice going.. Thank you so far!