PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Well, communicating with John Wallis he thinks the thing has been way too "Unionized". He also thinks that there would have been too much machinery moving around under the shield to be a good look out station. This would also mean, as Knife pointed out, that the large hatches amidships are misplaced. The bulwark atop the pilot house is more fitting for 1870s era ships then the CSN as well. So I have some changes to make.

As to the four funnels, this came about because of the paddle-screw configuration. The original design had both ends of the ship identical, with a screw n each end and rudder. The ship has four seperate engines, each compleatly independant. The double ended configuration was dropped, with both screws put on the aft end, but the Independent engines were kept. The ship would have been able to use the wheels to maneuver if the rudder ever went out.

So back to the drawing board as they say.
CT
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Still, it looks tough as hell. The paddlewheel housings remind me of the shoulder pads on Warhammer 40k space marines.

Can't wait to see it once Knife beta-builds it.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 AM

I just got another set of plans from John Wallis, with the stacks set inline. This is a much more likely set up, so I will move those as well.
CT
Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM

After some rebuilding and addition of more information, I am closing in on the Yazoo City. It is now 310 feet by 10 feet overall, with 16 heavy rifles. The 40 foot paddle wheels are turned by four engines, set in pairs. To big to turn around in the Yazoo river, the boat was built as a double ender. I still need to add the screws and the ships boats. I left the upper paddle box works shielded in timber only, as I am unsure if the builders would of had that much iron to use, and how it would of effected the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_2.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_3.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_4.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_5.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_6.jpg  

CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_7.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_8.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo_9.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wow! Incredible!

Nice going Corey!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work, Corey!

I always get a thrill out of reading accounts of this ship's appearance on the scene during the aproach to Vicksburg Campaign. Looks like you are capturing it. I always enjoy reading about your research and the inputs from others who have studied ACW riverine ships and craft.

Don
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I disagree about the placement of the boilers. I think the forward boilers would run the wheels and the aft boilers the screws withe engines all in the same machinery space protected between the paddles.
The boxes between the wheels would be directly over the engines, I think. Maybe make them grates.
Definitely need coaling hatches fore and aft as it appears the boilers were fired from fore and aft.
Lep
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Lepercan, I think you may be right about the placement of engines and boilers, andyes, with that layout the coaling hatches would have to be fore and aft. The Dean Stehman internal arrangement projection certainly agrees with that.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
CT, you really do a great job!

The idea of putting the 4 smokestacks in a row makes this monster looks like the missing link between the Civil War Ironclads and the WWII dreadnaughts.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM

A slight hull redesign to get the ram/rudder/screw alignment right.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-post-post-4.jpg