PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Yazoo City

OK folks, this will be a fun one. The "Yazoo Monster" as the unnamed vessel was called was a large ironclad that may have been envisioned as a Confederate flag ship. The thing was powered by two huge 40 foot diameter paddle wheels and two 8 foot diameter screws. It had four engines and was to have a speed of 10-16 knots. Originally it was to have 24 smooth bore guns in a large octagonal casemate. It was to be 340 feet long and 100 feet ove the paddle boxes.

As the ship was built (John Porter and Isac Newton Brown had a big hand in construction as well as design) the ship went continued deviations from the plans. In the end, like so many Confederate ironclads, it was destroyed before it was finished to prevent capture.

I relied heavily on John Wallis for his guidance with this one. My preliminary model shows the ship, now named "Yahoo City", as it may have been completed. As Issac Newton Brown built the USS/CSS Eastport, we know what his idea of ironclad construction was, so this influenced this model. You will note that in my model the complicated octagonal casemate was made square, and the number of guns reduced from 24 pre-was smoothbores to the more likely set of 14-16 Brookes Rifles.

to protect the crankshaft from fire I added a six foot tall mini-casemate between the wheelhouses, and put in openings that could have been useful for light, air, and look out stations n combat. (I stole this idea from union river ironclads). I also added four large hatches used for coaling, as well as two long rows of skylights, protected somewhat by the wheel-housings.

Because the Eastport had large square gunports, as did many Union ironclads, I went with large square gunports with the Yazoo City as well. I also went with the two piece old fusion style shutters.

The large pilothouse is in the typical design as most early war ironclads, but I added a heavy wooden bulwark on top, to be used for navigation except when under fire.

I also added three masts, used for lifting supplies, and for lookouts and signaling. (again, stolen from Union Ironclads).

I have a lot to go yet, but you get the jest. This ship, although large with a deep draft of 12 feet, would have dominated bays, harbors and coastal waters had it been finished.

Whatchya think?

CT.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic1.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic2.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic3.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic4.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic5.jpg  

CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic6.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic7.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic8.jpg   CSS Yazoo City-css-yazoo-city-pic9.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
It's a monster! Nice!

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
looks awesome, Corey!

Bart
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
That's one MASSIVE ship indeed.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Yep, huge. One more bite taken by the South's shipbuilders that was too big to chew. With its four inches of iron from the Shelby Iron works and the 45 degree angle, I am not sure that it would have been much use against the Monitors at close range. However, with the large gun ports allowing max gun elevation and good engines, this ship could have taken on Monitors at range and that could have made a difference. Those big rifles may not have been able to punch a hole in the turrets but it would have been a threat.
CT
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This looks like another gem, Corey.
I look forward to seeing more.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks Jeff,
But it will be a while before this one hits paper. There is still a lot of un-knowns I am working out. So much of this is speculations so I am hoping for feedback and opinions.
CT
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Just a few suggestions, I think the pilot house viewing ports should be rectangular, not square. Think viewing slots, not windows. Also, I think the coaling hatches would have been on the main deck, so it could be loaded directly below deck without going through the gun deck.

This is a very impressive looking design, you did a good job designing it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks Knife, good thoughts.
I will be adding main deck hatches, but will leave the large hatches amid-ships because the grating would be excellent ventilation. As to the pilot house, I will change that. I will wait untill I find out what the dimensions of the armor plate were. It is likely that the rectangles would be made by cutting of the plate rather the cutting out part of the plate.

Come on folks, help me out here. Knife had some good comments, any one else?
CT
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
What are the 4 box-like structures on the deck between the paddlewheel housings? Their arrangement looks too symetrical. Gives the impression of extraneous detail added to take up empty space. I'm not familar with this ship design, so don't know if they're serving some actual function there in the design or not. Their arrangement just stands out is all.

Haven't seen a 4 funnel ironclad before, so don't know if 4 funnels is too much or not.

Besides Knife's pointing out the square slots on the pilothouse, those two things are the only things to stand out to my eye.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Google Adsense