PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Here is one of the first drafts of the diagrams..
Attached Thumbnails
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-white-hall-vessel-kit1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looks awesome! great looking ship.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
You know I'm always ready for a test build, but it will probably just be a quick one. You cursed me with SketchUp knowledge, so now I'm addicted to getting my Arkansas designed. I'm spending way too much time on the computer now, instead of building. Who knows, maybe my 1/72 scale Arkansas may be completed before your Palmetto State! (That should light a fire under you to get her done).
Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 PM

OK, the White hall vessel is done for anyone wanting to give it a test build. Pretty simple overall. I left the outer metal a solid rust color, given that this ship was constructed under mysterious circumstances, paint was probably a long shot.
CT
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
This is so cool. Just what I need is another ironclad or in the near future a timer clad to put on a hard drive with the name CT or Avery in the title. Maybe someday I will actually get one built.

Thanks for your efforts and thanks for the download that you posted.

Joe
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM

I heard from Thomas Meek that the test build is coming to it's end. I have made the minor changes suggested, and I am waiting on pictures! This should be available soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
reference Gilbert Elliotts 4 gun ironclad, I think you mean the "improved Albemarle" which wasn't an Albemarle in fact, nor was it built by Elliott.

The vessel was 153ft oa x 36ft ex x 9ft draught, 708 tons.Protection was to be 4" iron, her intended ordnance is unknown. Designed possibly by John L Porter, constructed by an unknown builder at Tarborough, moved to the Roanoke River for completion either at Edward's Ferry or Rainbow Bluff. Laid down mid 1864 but not completed. Ordered by Secretary Mallory to be ready for service in 1865 as an "improved Albemarle" which as caused confusion to Researchers ever since.
The weatherdeck and casemate extended 2 feet each side over the hull proper.
Casemate slope was increased to 30 degrees whilst the hull armour and backing was added in a belt outside the hull and under the overhang. The hull featured a new feature in the "spoon" stern. it is not thought that she had the new quarterdeck form as seen in "Wilmington". She was burned to avoid capture in early 1865, but not before a US army officer had examined and drawn the ship in the Roanoke river, It is his drawing that the attached plan is based on.

However Gilbert Elliott did build the 6 gun Weldon Battery, but I think this reply is a little long to include that vessel this time.
Attached Thumbnails
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-improved-albemarle.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM

OK, that"s too cool to pass up. I would also be interested in the six gun Weldon Battery as well! Thanks John.
CT
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I just re-read this thread. The info you posted on the make up of the men serving with the CSS Navy is quite interesting indeed!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The Weldon Battery

Corey, you asked for the "Weldon Battery" so here you are.
Often confused with the "improved" Albemarle, this vessel WAS an enlarged Albemarle type.
She was being constructed at Edward's Ferry alongside a so far unidentified 4 or gun floating battery when Cdr Cooke described her. The "Weldon Battery" hull was some 16ft wider than the the Albemarle drawings show. Casemate slope was 30 degrees, and the number of guns increased to 4-6 . Internally they were two vertical bulkheads from bottom to weatherdeck, stretching from bow to stern, effectively giving her a hollow knuckle as protection against torpedoes and ramming. She was taken to Fort Branch (Rainbow Bluff) to be armoured (with English iron run through the blockade into Wilmington), and disappears from record. Presumably scuttled to avoid capture.

She measured 172ft overall x 50ft extreme beam x 9ft draught, 1,106 tons.
Guns 4 -6 depending on calibre available, see plan for the layout
Armour 4" iron.
Designer, J.L. Porter, builder Gilbert Elliott, laid down mid 1864. not completed
The plan is by me, from a drawing by the late Ben Shuman.
Attached Thumbnails
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-weldon-battery.jpg  
Google Adsense