PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale

I started on the Essex using what I thought was a pretty good drawing, but closer examination shows that I need to start over! it was good practice. Some things I need to do different are as follows.
1, photos show the Essex clearly has a slight curve or shoulder at the top of the casemate.
2, The top deck as a lip on it just above the shoulder.
3, the deck has a vertical edge about two feet thick.
4, The deck edge and casemate edge do not meet.
5, atop the round house is something I can not identify.
6, there is some sort of rigging/pole sticking up from the deck edge.
7, Is that canvas draped over the metal siding below the round deadlights, or is this a wrinkle in the original print?

Also of note, the earlier photos show now large cabin forward of the wheel housing and no round house aft, just a large awning frame.

I am hoping I can get some opinions from y'all about these things before I start my second attempt.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-essex.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss-sxpost.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss-sxpost2.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss-sxpost3.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss_essex_post.jpg  

USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-_40_4018_uhvwf00z.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss_essex_1.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss_essex_2.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss_essex_3.jpg   USS Essex ironclad in 1/250 scale-uss_essex_4.jpg  

Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
To my eyes, the wrinkle is in the photograph, not on the armor plating. Also, the guy wires from the top railing to the lower deck look like they are there to keep a space between the casemate and the awnings providing them shade. This sure was one ugly piece of equipment. I like the way the photographs show the three part gunport covers.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Hey Corey,
" photos show the Essex clearly has a slight curve or shoulder at the top of the casemate.
2, The top deck as a lip on it just above the shoulder.
3, the deck has a vertical edge about two feet thick.
4, The deck edge and casemate edge do not meet.
5, atop the round house is something I can not identify. Something behind Essex
6, there is some sort of rigging/pole sticking up from the deck edge. it is a gunport lid
7, Is that canvas draped over the metal siding below the round deadlights, or is this a wrinkle in the original print? Wrinkle

Note that the supporting wires for the railing are not on all the photos, were likely removed at some point.
Also, the second photo is Cairo, not Essex.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
if you want my opinion...just marks in the photograph (not wrinkles on the boat)

I'm not a ship model fan or even a big Civil War fan, so i don't pay a lot of attention,
but I do drop in everytime I see a new Ironclad warship model.

I must say, I never realized there were so many warships from this period.
Like the average ignorant, I know of the "Monitor" and one or two others
and thought that was it.

if nothing else, thanks for educating me Corey!!

But I have to ask...when are you gonna do a big one?
I mean a large scale Civil War warship, maybe even bigger than 1/72 scale?
With lots more of your great details and textures.
Now that would be a real interesting project!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
My problem with larger models is kind of two fold. First is skill level. As I have found out with my Palmetto State 1/72 scale attempt, I have a long ways to go. Second is documentation and information. The larger the scale the more details you need, and the better references. The worst part is, the ships with the best detailed plans, where not necessarily built that way. There is always the "as planned" and the "as built" versions.

I do have some bigger models floating around in my head and a few even started on my computer-like a 1/72 scale Confederate mine layer. One day maybe!
CT