PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale

OK, as som of you know I have a computer...issue a while back. Well, while returning files onto the new hard drive from a mass of digital storage units, (still trying to find many files) I keep coming across stuff I had forgotten about or thought was gone for good! This is one of them.

This is an early attempt of mine at the CSS Milladgeville, a confederate ironclad launched just in time to be burned, that is, in December 1864 in Savannah, GA. It's ashes were part of that whole Christmas present General Sherman gave to President Lincoln that year. Anyhow, It was built as a smaller version of the CSS Jackson, and had four big Brooke's rifles and a whopping 6 inches of armor as opposed to the usual four on other Confederate ships.

The guns MAY have been laid out in the fashion that I present, on pivots, so as to always present a two gun broad side regardless of the direction of the enemy. On the other hand, it may have followed the one pivot for and aft with one gun on each broad side to give a single bow/stern gun configuration but a three gun broadside. Any how, the four pivot gun system is the way I went. The CSS Jackson, CSS Missouri, and CSS Nashville used corner casement pivot arrangement as did a number of Union ironclads.

The bulk of the work is done on this model, although I am updating some of the parts, using the fold over design, to make them easier to build. Stuff I have learned with a little time! Anyhow, A relatively quick run through Gimp and it will be printable. Building the dang thing may be a bit harder depending on my available time.

The search through my files continues. Who knows what else may be learking!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css-milladgevillepost-1.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css-milladgeville-post2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This looks great, Corey. Looking forward to seeing it if you get the time to build. Interesting the pivot guns at each corner
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Here's a start on a build of the Milladgeville, built alongside a build of the Ashley.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_01.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-milladgeville_and_ashley_01.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-milladgeville_and_ashley_03.jpg  

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Yea, an ironclad build that I can sit back and watch! I was going to get this kit last week, so I look forward to your build.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Two pics of today's progress so far. Used a coaling barge to transport the guns to the ship...

Still trying to get better lighting sorted out, as can be see in second picture. Still not great, but better.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_02.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_05.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Two more pics. Not the cleanest build in the world. The smoke stack still gives me a lot of trouble. Just wish I could roll one bollard that I could stand using on a model.

Anyone know offhand if Lowes or Home Depot stock black sand? Need some for my coal barges for re-coaling vignettes.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_06.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_07.jpg  

Old 08-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome. Coalinf stop would be cool! For rolling stacks and other larger tubes I use a round rod and a mouse pad. For those itty bitty tubes I use the paper sticks used in Q-tips and lolly-pops, I strip down the rolls until I get the right diameter then paint in black with a marker the clip to length. Sometimes I may need to re-glue the leading edge to keep it from unrolling. I design those little parts on my models for people like Knife and Thomas Meek, and others, but me, I just can not build them so I cheat!
CT
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Looks pretty good to me as well. Have you tried the Model Rail Road section of the hobby shop for some coal loads?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torakaze-222 View Post
Anyone know offhand if Lowes or Home Depot stock black sand? Need some for my coal barges for re-coaling vignettes.
I've used "kitty litter" painted flat black that looked okay too me, with a light dry brushing of "Future" over the pile for a more coal like look. Can be crushed down to smaller sizes as needed.. "Silica Sand" could also be used and then painted, as it is very fine..
Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Re: coal;

I have found that most hobby shops who cater to model railroad enthusiasts sell little packets of actual coal sifted to a realistic scale size. Silica sand is okay, but it is a bit shiny for my taste. You could spray it with a matt finish, I guess, but you can't get more realistic than the real thing.
Google Adsense