PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale

I have been working on this project on and off for some time now. The 180 foot long gunboat served throughout the war, and was protected from small arms fire and field artillery by a thick addition of timber siding. I have man of the details worked out but I have a question, what color. Was the wood left raw, or was it painted. And if painted, what color? Any help? Any suggestions?
CT
Attached Thumbnails
USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale-h49975.jpg   USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale-h49976.jpg   USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale-image006.jpg   USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale-image008.jpg   USS Tyler, timberclad in 1/250 scale-tyler.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Corey,

I don't believe it was left "natural". It is much too dark for that. I'm convinced (could be wrong) that it was painted. I was noticing a couple of the pictures it is passing one of the City-class Union Ironclads. They are near the same color. I wonder if it wasn't a "camouflage" paint job to make it look as if it was ironclad.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 AM

Thank! That is a good point. Also, I think the war time color for the USS Hartford, also wooden, was black and gray. Gray may indeed be a good color...
CT
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Corey, I believe she was painted black.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks Fred. Black hull, natural decks, and white bulwarks and masts?
CT
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Yes. Masts, maybe natural wood? Remember she was a Navy ship, and would have been painted accordingly. I am sure I have seen references that she was in black. I am glad to see you doing her.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Looks like a fine target for my CSS Arkansas . Were other wooden ships painted in that era? I know most ocean going vessels where painted black, like the USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama. But these vessels were designed for long term use, while the river fleet was quickly assembled and were thought to only be needed for a short time. I would think that the parts of the ship that were painted before the conversion would have been left painted, but the new timber used for armor would have been left in it's natural color or at most covered with tar for waterproofing. But then again, l like the idea of paint as camoflage to represent an ironclad. This was used by the Union forces to spoof the defenders of Vicksburg when they sent a raft painted up as an ironclad, complete with log cannons and smudge pots in the fake smokestacks, floating down the Mississippi. So the Union forces definitely had the resources and idea to use this rouse.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Still working on this. It is interesting to not that some of the other temberclads had the space between the added thick bulwarks decked over, but the Tyler had a large open gun deck. Also, apperently the gun ports could be used as gangways. The use of small boat howitzers ob fiels carrages seems universal. Just some observations...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The timberclads were interesting-looking vessels and I'm glad to see you working on this one, Corey.

Don
Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Corey, I guess that you should get "The Timberclads in the Civil War" (Amazon.com: The Timberclads in the Civil War (9780786435784): Myron J., Jr. Smith: Books). I've heard that this is a great book (and also and expensive one ;-) )
Google Adsense