PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale

Thanks to John Wallis i decided to do this model, and for the first time, in full hull. It is a Albemarle type in construction, but bigger and stronger. It has four guns and, as finished, would have had four inches of English iron armor. Built at Edwards Ferry she was taken in 1865 to Fort Branch to be fitted out. she was lost somewhere along the way. Like so many Confedeate Ironclads, she came too late to see combat, as the situation on land forced a close to the rebellion. A big thanks once again to John Wallis and the late Ben Shuman for their efforts in researching these great ships.

I am actually trying a full hulled version of this ship. We will see how that goes. I will also offer the waterline version as well.

Here is a start. I still need to add the ships boats, rudder, and twin screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-post.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Are you a school teacher? If not, you might want to consider a career in teaching. I sure learn a lot on your threads!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Well Zathros, I am more of a student then teacher. I do home school my youngest, and have helped (with scouts and my father) teach our boys to shoot. history comes natural to me for some reason, and I am lucky to live in a time when modern machinations such as the internet allow me to be tutored by folks like John Wallis, all the way over in England! Every time I make a new model I learn something. But I thank you for the good thoughts all the same! I would love to be a teacher but my politics and religion would get in the way of teaching at a public school. So I teach my kids as best I can, and keep learning things along the way.
CT
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Some of the full hull framing...
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-parts-post2.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM

And some parts. Still have a lot of detailing to do. May or may not do a full interior gun deck. At this sale I suspect most modelers simply glue o the casemate shell anyhow. Not the off side or staggered gun ports. It is also possable that this ship may have had lighter caliber (smaller) guns for the broad side armorment, and would of had six guns, instead of four. With smaller guns and less recoil room needed, the ship may have has the extra gun ports added with the smaller cannon being located across from each other. However, Ilike the big gun look, with the off set gun ports! I also made the decks wood, although if they would of had enough iron armor plate they would of armored the decks. Most didn't, do to shortages.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-post3.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Almost ready for a test build. here are some of the directions. Maybe over done for one of my models, even a full hulled one, but it is good practice for me should I ever get the knack of making ship hulls. I still need to make the screws and shafts, but the parts are all down. This will have the option for a waterline build as well.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-dia-1.jpg   Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-dia-2.jpg  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM

A bit more done, including the screws and a over view of the model with numbered parts. This will be available as a waterline only, or full hull model. Last pages will be done today and the on to a test build! Any one want to try?
Attached Thumbnails
Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-dia-4.jpg   Weldon Battery full hull, 1/250 scale-weldon-gun-battery-dia-3.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hi Corey, I will do the test build if you like, although I'm more in tune with waterline that full hull. You are right in that although she was strictly speaking not an Albemarle because of the casemate overhang, she bears a close resemblance. Porter or someone unknown was obviously trying out new ideas.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 AM

Hello Rebleatsea! I will get it ready to day and send it over to you. The parts for a Waterline version and for a full hull version are separated out so you do not need to print a bunch of stuff you will not use. Look for it in your email later today! Thanks.
CT
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM

OK folks, I have heard back from two of my test builders on this project, Greg Perry and John Wallis. Greg is working on the hull version and John on the Waterline. In both cases I have some miner structural changes such as doubling parts for strength and sizing formers. Also, Greg says that the shafts at this scale are too big if you are able to roll them, or un-roll-able if in scale. So, what is a good substitute? Or should I make the shafts 2-D?

Still, not a bad go, lots of progress. Thanks to both for all the help. I am extremely pleased with the way this one is coming out. As John wrote in an email about this model, "The vessel sits in the water with a very purposeful air."

It sure does. I will keep y'all posted on any updates to come.
CT