PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad

Yet another page from the forthcoming book by John Wallis. This vessel was built on the Neuse River at White Hall, this vessel was report as being 271 feet in length and 63 feet wide, and was propelled by twin screws. It is technically a "Nashville Ironclad" class, that is a large ironclad using machinery from a side-wheeler. This one uses the side-wheel machinery but dropped the side wheels, and used gearing and shafts to convert it to a twin screw vessel. Because it was described as having four guns but a rather large casemate I assume that the converted machinery took up some room amid ship in the casemate. The desihners were John L. Porter and James Warner, the later is who designed the conversion machinery for the twin screws. Most other details are unknown, such as armor type and thickness, or even if this vessel was launched. The final fate is unknown, it just disappeared into history! I will endeavor to recreate this vessel as it may have apeared had it been finished out, launched, and put into service. Stay tuned!
CT
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
When I was very young, I felt guilty thinking that Confederate ships were cool looking. Being called a "minority" all the time did not help either. I think your models and subject matter are really awesome, educative, and well needed Our country with the emphasis on "OUR", needs to remember all the lives given by ALL Americans, all the know how, and all the people that contributed. You dig into some of the coolest stuff. Great work!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Time to contact NUMA (the Nation Underwater and Marine Agency) ran by noted adventure author Clive Cussler. He has tracked down the final resting place of many of the Civil War ironclads.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Yet another page from the forthcoming book by John Wallis.
Does Wallis' manuscript have anything about the 4 gun ironclad that Gilbert Elliot was building after the Albemarle? I can't remember if he was building it at Halifax or Edward's Ferry. Only remember it was a four gun ironclad.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM

I will find out about that four gun ironclad for you. I would be interested in it as well.

thank you all for your kind words!

CT
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Got some more work done on the White Hall vessel. I just dummied up an inside bulkhead and engine room area, as I have no real idea how it may have been. I can only guess that do the the conversion equipment and the placement of the guns, and lack of guns amid ship, that some sort of obstruction was in need. If a guy builds the model with a permanent casemate, then all this may be left off anyhow. I put the guns on simple pivot carrages much like the tracks used in fortifications as I have seen similar tracks used on other ships as well. The fore and aft bulwark-type brake waters are doubled, a wood backing with a rusted iron face. These are not armor and are quite short, intended I think to give a bit more free board in case things get choppy. I also ran my anchor chains through the casemate and into my theoretical machine room, to a steam wench maybe? Anyhow, no matter if I am getting this right or not, the idea of a somewhat confined interior comes through.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-more-nashville-type-ironclads3.jpg   The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-more-nashville-type-ironclads4.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM

On a side note, thank you for your compliments Zathros.
One interesting thing I found out in researching Confederate vessels was the crew make up. Apparently, the CSN openly recruited "minorities", more so then the land based military. Black men, both freemen and slaves, served on ironclads. By Confederate law, a CSN ship could have no more then 20% of it's crew made up of "non-whites". However, exemptions could be had, and given that some of these letters of exception have survived to today, one must assume that some CSN ships had more then 20% of it's crew classified as "non-white". Written records back this up, along with the fact that recruiting for the Southern Navy was always a task. The fledgling CS Marine Corp also had a surprisingly large number of "men of color" serving, at least two of whom fought on land in the last days of the war and surrendered with Lee's Army at Appomattox. It is a most interesting subject I would not have come across had it not been for my interest in Card Models!

CT
Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM

OK, back from vacation and i will be fire up soon with these other projects, including getting this one done. Please stay tuned in! More soon!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
woo hoo! have a good time?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM

We had a blast. The four boys and I got to go target shooting...well, I spent most of the range time loading cap and ball while the 13, 11, and 7 year old lit up an abandoned pumpkin. We also went through a brick of .22LR and two boxes of 9mm. My dad helped the kids with the modern stuff, and the 17 year old was capable of loading and shooting on his own. I just went through the motions, powder, ball, grease, cap. It was fun watching a 7 year old drop the hammer on an 1860 Colt smoke wagon...and drill a pumpkin! Not every shot, but one out of six at 25 yards is still good shooting for a munchkin! We also ate, drank, and partied 'tell we where exhausted. And the kids got to go sledding on snow for the first time, and experience real cold, that is -12 with the wind chill. Luckily, it was a warm 40 when we were at the range with little wind. All in all, great fun...

The White Hall vessel is done, and ready (I think) for a test build. I left the armor a mottled rust and tar color, and decked out the thing with the sundry deck mess found on other ironclads. I am working on the history portion and the directions, cover and so on. Just need a test builder...

CT
Attached Thumbnails
The White Hall Vessel, Confederate ironclad-white-hall-vessel-pic1.jpg