PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
With images from Rebelatsea and Kaz I managed to rework this model and it is coming along good. The hull, with its six foot draft and 30 foot beam is sleek. The model will be in both full hull and waterline. And the hull lines have been simplified a bit to allow for modeling. The guns work out well and I have laid them on 24 foot diameter half circle tracks. The tracks will be optional. I am unsure but I think the at least the number 1 and number 4 guns would have been on pivots. The other two are seen in some drawings as turned broad side, but I can not make out whether the guns are on pivots or simply manhandled to the sides. guns 2 and 3 will have a small blind spot if used on the pivot track due to the hog braces. But pivots seem to be the best bet.

As to the color, the ship was black. However, I can not get a good looking model in black so I am going with charcoal instead...I think.

Well, wish me luck this time!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-1.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Excellent news, Corey!

I am so very glad to see you are tackling this one again, and can't wait to see how it comes out!

Go steady, mate!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Here are a few more shots. Judging from drawings the cut down Florida (AKA CSS Selma) sits lower in the water then I had originally thought. I "think" that this is overall pretty close. Although an eye-witness acount of her just after her conversion to a gunboat states that she has a forward "Jib" mast, maybe like the one I have seen on drawings of the CSS Calhoun. But for now the simple mast will do. The finished model will have the deck planking and the gun tracks will be narrowed up a bit as well.The ship had light armor plate on her deck but the model at the Maritime museum in Mobile (I think) shows the armor decked over with wood like on the USS Keokuk and other armored ships.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-2.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-3.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-4.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-5.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-6.jpg  

CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-7.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-8.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-9.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Beauty!

Just a question; I can't imagine this vessel sporting a jib mast without good reason, but can't fanthom the reason...why would there be such a mast, what was it's use? Did they, as with the Calhoun, have ratlines installed to enable a sailor to gain access to the upper section, for lookout duty? Or was it used for signal flags? Or both? Just curious....

Otherwise, might they also have used a mainmast, with a jib rig, similar to the way the blockade runner Teazer shows her rig? I saw a hand drawing of Calhoun which seemed to show this double mast set up, which would make more sense to me than a single mast if rigged with sails (for use to assist when steaming was not desired or necessary).

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
Jim

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I can not tell you Jim. It may have been purely for look outs as on some Union ironclads. Or the witness was mistaken. I am going with the smaller signal mast as shown as it seems to work well, look the part.

CT
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Gents, i suspect the jib mast was used for hoisting ammo and stores in and out, don't know whether it would be strong enough to handle guns though.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Here are a couple shots from the kit draft. You will have the option of the plain deck, and one with metal rails inset for the pivots. Hard to tell how the guns on the deck where moved. The deck house will also have some optional layering or built up stuff, like the doors.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-10.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-11.jpg   CSS Selma gunboat, 1/250 scale-css-selma-post-12.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Glad to see your back to the ships....was thinking you'd gone over to armour only :-)
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The new images look very good Corey my friend.
I certainly like the decking, and the fact that you have optioned inclusion of the gun pivots.

A thought occurred, though I admit I'm asking a question, rather than speculating as such. Has any evidence been found of ratchet and pawl traverse of deckmounted gun mounts? I'm thinking of a system where a gearwheel would "capture" a rod within the pivot track, seen from front-on (where \/ = tooth of geared wheel and o = fixed rod) :

Vo\/o\/oV

as the arc of the toothed wheel engaged the fixed rods within the pivot track. The reason I'm asking this is because it would seem to give far finer control of aiming the weapon than simply relying on the friction available between what is essentially a minetruck bogie wheel and a smooth track, however deep the groove in said track might be.

I'm unaware if the question/speculation has been raised and discussed here before now, but to my mind such a thought seems logical, as such a system would be well within the technological capability of that era; after all, a similar system such as I suggest was employed on sloping gradients within mine galleries.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Uyraell, my friend, I came across this source which appears to be a contemporary source discussing how the guns of the era were worked, including the pivot guns:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19058...-h/19058-h.htm

I am still reviewing this source so am not sure it addresses all questions, or even the ones you raise, but you might find it of some interest. I am finding it a wealth of very interesting information!

I gather there was a need for the ability to pivot at both the forward and after ends of the carriage, to traverse the deck, port, starboard, amidships, as well as to train the gun for aiming in battle. The gear set up you mention might have restricted the freer movement contemplated by the pivot points and training tracks used on these vessels. You might find of interest that there appear to be pivot plates at either end of the slide. In another webforum in which this issue was discussed one of the members mentioned "If you look at page 65 of the U.S. Navy Ordnance Instructions at Gutenberg mentioned above, it sets out the drill for shifting pivot left or right by drawing or inserting the fore or rear pivot bolts and hauling the whole thing around by the shifting tackles. The pivot at the business end of the gun slide is called fighting pivot, while the central one is called shifting pivot." This same person then states that "at the end of the gun dril the gun is brought into the housing position amidships and pivoted to the socket farthest from the extremity of the vessel, and run out." I am still trying to sort out in my mind how this all worked, being more familiar with the earlier simplier gun carriage and carronade systems used on sailing ships, but I hope you might find this source of some interest and, hopefully, use.

Enjoy!

Cheers!
Jim

Last edited by jimkrauzlis; 05-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Google Adsense