PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Raleigh in 1/250 waterline

I have my 1/250 scale waterline model of the CSS Raleigh about done, and will be looking for a test builder.

The Raleigh had the shortest career of any commissioned Confederate ironclad, about a week. It had one successful night, exchanging fire with a large Union fleet, and driving off a couple of wooden blockading ships. Returning to it's base, the Raleigh grounded in the Shallows of Cape Fear River and became stuck. The weight of the heavy iron plate soon broke the ships keel. The iron plate was removed as well as the guns, and the broken ship slid off the sand bar and sank. A sad and to a ship that had a successful first night of combat.

I actually chose to do this one because I liked the color, the Raleigh was reported as being painted a dark blue. It follows the general lay out of other Richmond class ironclads, carrying four guns, and was 172.5 feet in length.

Any takers? Just PM me.

CT
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 PM

My Confederate Navy is growing...
CSS Virginia II
CSS Fredericksburg
CSS Wilmington
CSS Huntsville
CSS Tuscaloosa
CSS Charleston
CSS Palmetto State
CSS Missouri
CSS Palmetto State
CSS Georgia
CSS Tennessee

The above are finished in 1/250 scale and are available at Ecardmodels.com or soon will be. Just waiting on test builds and pics for some.
Still working on
CSS North Carlina
CSS Stonewall
CSS Chicora
CSS Savanna
CSS Arkansas
CSS Squib
CSS Chattahoochee
Old 10-31-2009, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 162.6 KB
How about a BIG blockade runner????

Though we may disagree about CSS Palmetto State, your work is superb. Would you kindly consider a blockade runner in 1/96 or even 1/72. There is almost nothing about these ships and their daring crews that kept my ountry alive for those four terrible years.

Best,

Jeff
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
there's a good, and free, blockade runner out there, Teazer, designed by the late Magnus Morck. It's in 1/250; could probably be scaled up.

Wyvern
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM

I was about done with this one but screwed up something when I went to save it. I still have the digital model but now I have to start laying out the parts again...this is the second time this has happened. Oh well...good practice at any rate.

I have not built Morck's runner but his other ships are great builds. Their is a number of paddle wheel boats I want to try, including some runners.
CT
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 162.6 KB
Teaser is no longer available for download. All those ships have been deleated from that site though thankfully I downloaded all of them last year.

I'm looking for a 1/96 or 1/72 full hull type blockade runner and am hoping that CT might work his magic as with his full hull Palmetto State and other Richmond class. I use them as plans to build in styrene and they certainly fill the bill. Would LOVE to know how he does this.

Best,

Jeff
Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM

I am still working on the Raliegh, I should have something ready for a test build soon...

I am collaborating with a guy on the woodn ship Chattahoochee and working on the Stonewall as well, both will give me practice on the type of curves needed to do a blockade runner.

CT
Old 11-27-2009, 04:56 PM

For the second time I lost all my data when I went to save this damn thing. My model is as ill fated as the original ship. Sooo close to being done, no I have to start over. People have not invented words to describe my feeling right now, I have to get a copy of the Devils Dictionary to find the right words. At least my Charleston is done and in Chris's capable hands, and the Missouri is close to being available...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM

OK, finally on the right track. Th South first (and only) Night Fighter is nearing completion. I hope the "dark blue" is the right color of dark blue...
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Raleigh in 1/250 waterline-css-ralieghpartspost2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties. Computers are definately a help, but can be one of man's greatest sources of frustration.

The attachment from your last post looks pretty good, though.
Google Adsense