PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
That one by Warner is the one I actually read/heard about at some point, but I find the Tift turret ship more interesting (and possible). Warners turrit would have been a tough hall for the South I think, at least with out the full support of the ship builders in Scotland and England.
CT
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 AM

CSNIronclad, welcome to the forum, by the way. And thank you for your kind coments about my model designs.
CT
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The conning position on the Tift turretship would have turned with the turret I think. The assembly would have been as simple as possible in keeping with the Mississippi type construction. I think though the armour would have been 4" on the hull and possibly 8" on the turret.
Warner's vessel was to have had 11" iron on the turret, which appears to have been intended to be constructed something like a railroad water tower tank. I don't think European help would have been needed as by the time this vessel would have been built the CSN naval ironworks were capable of constructing the necessary machinery.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Simply fascinating, Corey!

Wyvern
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

OK, getting stuff worked out now. The Warren and Tift ships will be available as a 2 for 1 waterline only model, both in the same pdf kit, "Confederate Turret Vessels". Also, each model will be released seperately as a full hull kit, but I am not there just yet. And, for kicks, I am doing a cut-a-way version of the Tift Turret and pilothouse as I see it working, in a much larger 1/72 scale. So we are slowly getting there! Fun fun!
CT
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM

ok, working on the turret. Here is what I have come up with, pictures soon. The pilothouse and turret turn as one. The weight is supported by a number of train wheels rolling on a circular track the same way a Rail Road turn about supports an engine. Running through the decks and up to the pilot house would be a center pinion, that is fixed to the ship. This does not turn, and this is what the ships wheel would be mounted on. The center pinion would have a hollow running down it to carry the steering rigging below and possibly a latter running up. The deck of the pilot house would be made of wood grating to make communication some what possible.

The turning of the turret/rail road table would be by hand, using block and tackle. because of this, both of the 7 inch Brookes rifles would be on a pivot carriage, giving each individual gun an additional 30 degree of windage for aiming. These guns fit, with carriage, and have enough room to pivot enough.

As with the first monitors, leakage around the turret base would be problematic in heavy seas, but this ship has a higher feeboard.

This part of the ship, the turret section, will be a separate model in cut a way in 1/72 scale. Pictures soon.
CT
Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM

OK, here is the pictures so far. Does it look right. Even with the angle of the wall, the crew would have room to work the guns.
Attached Thumbnails
N&A Tift's Turret ship (Confederate Monitor)-tift-turret-ship-inide.jpg   N&A Tift's Turret ship (Confederate Monitor)-tift-turret-ship-inside2.jpg   N&A Tift's Turret ship (Confederate Monitor)-tift-turret-ship-inside3.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Corey, it would be possible to support the turret on 32pdr cannon balls as was proposed in at least one Union design. Bearing mind the shortage of railroad equipment in the south.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Corey
Looking forward to adding this to my hard drive of unbuilt ironclads. About to finish the Virginia II finally after numerous restarts. As a side note, please pass on to Tera that I enjoy her writings and look forwoard to her comments and views. Teel her to keep up the good work.
Joe
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Joe, thanks. I let Tera know, and she said to look, her up on Facebook, you might enjoy some of the discussions she gets going on there.

Rebelatsea, bbs of .117 cal would be about scale ammunition for an eight or nine inch gun, at 1/72 scale. I could see the turret sitting on a rack of balls instead of wheels and rails. It is keeping with the simple way to go. I wonder what kind of set up they would need for turning it the turret with rope. A simple gear ring and wheel would work, but I doubt that casting a 14 foot geared iron or bronze ring would be likely. But some sort of simple winch or pulley set up would work as well. And dead on persition would not be needed as the guns could pivot slightly to get the target.

So, what do you think? BBs-I mean eight inch shot in a race for the turret?
CT