PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Corey, I prefer the second Brit version ,on the basis that the CSN had a fetish about fore and aft firing guns. even for seagoing designs.
As for hatches, well again, virtually all CSN ironclads had hatches on the fore and aft decks. Casemate tops were usually ,but not always gratings with hatches over the engine rooms internally within the casemates ,duplicated on the hurricane decks for upwards ventilation. there were also small hatchways for companionways. On some ships Atlanta for example, the hurricane decks were planked over with vents over the guns.

Apart from the arrangement of guns and position of the wheels, there are so far as I know no drawings that give these details for Louisiana.
I tend to think that on such a big vessel, the hurricane deck may have been a grating, There is a conning position, which apparently was a platform in the casemate with no roof, and there was a hatch possibly for a companion way aft of the wheels.
Given that the structure around the wheels was intended to be sniper proof, there probably was a walkway around the inside for sharpshooters etc.

In the Brit version, I should think the wheel well would covered over, indeed the entire deck planked as in an RN ship with grating hatches for ventilation and companion way access. The conning position might well have remained un roofed as contemporary RN ships conning positions were unprotected.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Here is a better (?) color.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post7.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 AM

Still think it needs to be paler, and more gray than blue.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Here are two more colors. The fist using a slate gray for the base, and the other using plain gray for the base. both have been lighted a bit to pale them up. Any thoughts?
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post8.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post9.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Screws AND paddlewheels? They must have beieved in the belt and suspenders scholl of desin.!
Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Actually, from what I have read, because the double wheels were inline, it was thought that outboard screws would be useful in turning the ship faster. I do not think, had they ever been hooked up and used, that they would have been for forward movement, but run independently for turning. Still, one wonders how well it would have worked all together.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
ct, I think the plain grey looks better. The slate grey brings Richtoven's circus to mind.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 AM

I think the slate grey is nearest. Her in line wheels could not have worked as the backwash from the leader would choke the wheel behind. Not sure how effective the screws would have been as a reinforcment to the twin rudders, they were certainly large enough in diameter. All depends on the power of the engines, and her main engines were refered to as "tea kettle engines" presumably there weren't enough boilers ?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Well, it nears completion and is just about ready for the dreaded test build. I sure hope all fit together well. It will be 11 pages of parts including options such as the waterline conversion and the stand for the full hull version. I am a bit worried about the wheels, they seem fragile. Anyhow, looking for a builder. Any takers?
CT
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
I think the slate is the most realistic.
A good boat will be!
A4 format will be?
Google Adsense