PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.

Hello,
With the wrapping up of my Laffley AM80 armored car going well, I decided to give this a try. Thanks to some great plans drawn up by John Wallis I was able to make the digital model of the CSS Louisiana as she may have looked when completed. I will do a three ship collection, containing the ship as designed, as built, and as John Wallis envisioned her as she made have looked if the British would have taken a more direct roll in helping the South build new ironclads ad finish those under construction in 1862.

This was a real boxy ship, and never really was destined for successes. It was over complicated and never had hall of it's machinery working at the same time. however, with better engines, good screw linkage equipment, ad some other changes, the project could have been salvaged. But time ran out.
Thanks again to John Wallis for his help with this monster!

CT
T
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post3.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post2.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-4.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Well done Corey, I can't wait to have the kit!!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks John,
I have to go out of town for work today and will be gone through Sunday night. I will not have internet but I am bringing my modeling computer to use in the evenings. Hopefully, I will get some kits finished up!

CT
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM

work continues. I am wondering about the color. I am looking through my notes and emails to see if john might have already told be the likely color layout...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 AM

Hi Corey, I reckon the New Orleans vessels would have been painted a pale colour because of the prevailing high temperatures, something akin to the pale grey /blue of the Charleston Squadron maybe.

On the subject of paint, coal tar was often used at this time, it can be a surprising variety of colours from off white to dull black, depending on the coal type and what it was being used for, different processes can produce different colours.
Google Adsense
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

OK, been unfolding and making internals for this one. I did not realize the size until I started this! Wow. At a guess, it looks like the full hull "as built" version will be six pages of parts! That's a lot for a little old ironclad! The inner casemate is going to be deck colored and consist of the guns, but the casemate will not be removable as I have no idea of what the innards might be like on this one. It will have two full paddle wheels, themselves a bit of detail work. I should have some parts pages ready soon!
CT
Old 10-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Looks like eight pages of parts, with a detailed set of paddle wheels taking up a page by themselves. Going to be close to 200 parts. I may add a display stand too, but for not the ship is just massive by it's self. Any one going to be up for a try, I will be needing pictures of a finished build. Any one up for a test build?
CT
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM

In the pictures, I show the paddle wheel assembly, the blue-gray painted casemate, and the blackish painted hull bottom. I have to run everything through Gimp yet to do some additional layering and weathering-dirtying effects, but you can get the jest of it. The more I design these models the more I realize how OSHA unfriendly these old ships must have been!
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post4.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post5.jpg   CSS Lousiana full hull, 1/250 scale.-css-louisiana-built-post6.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Corey, the blue is too blue if you get my meaning, It should be a blue gray and much paler.
Are you going to produce a waterline version ( my preference).
I sent two versions of the British improved ship ,which one would you use ?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 AM

I was thinking the same thing about the brightness of the blue also, I will see if I can pale it up with a gray color. I will do a waterline as well, on all versions, but I am noy sure what British improvements to use in the hypothetical. Probably the second set you sent, but I am undecided, so if you have a thought on that just let me know.

I did notice the lack of hatches and vents on this one. Is that do to lack of plans or was it a shut up beast as it appears? I understand that the decks would be to low to safely have hatches, but were there any on the top of the casemate? Grates, or other openings?

CT