PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   CT Ertz's projects (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ct-ertzs-projects/)
-   -   Covered barge or floating storage shed. (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ct-ertzs-projects/17415-covered-barge-floating-storage-shed.html)

ct ertz 12-06-2011 04:07 PM

Covered barge or floating storage shed.

2 Attachment(s)
Along with the snag barge, and the flat boat, I am making this storage barge. The one in the photo seems to have a still or something in it with fire wood stacked up against the wall. Mine is a bit more generic. I would guess that hundreds of these barges or similar ones dotted the river ways, before, during and after the Civil War. This will come in 1/250 scale as well as a more detailed 1/72 scale. I think the all would be a great addition to any waterfront diorama. :)

Miles Linnabery 12-06-2011 04:19 PM

Dear CT:
I wonder if its not for heating up tar to be put onto the ships bottom hot before the copper was attached?
A thought,
MILES

ct ertz 12-06-2011 06:10 PM

An Excellent thought, Miles. That could well be, and a useful repair ship as well.
CT

Hudsonduster 12-06-2011 06:35 PM

Hm. Why would a freshwater vessel need coppering? NOT dismissing, I'm asking in the context of historical critical-comment.

Another possibility, based on the pic alone (where is this filed as a "Storage Barge? There's precious little storage space there!) is that this is a self-contained donkey boiler and engine. I just suggest this on the size and similarity to such self-contained units usually seen mounted on skids (and how you'd lash a "donkey barge" up to something you want to run with it is beyond my meager research experience).

'Duster

ct ertz 12-06-2011 06:51 PM

Not sure about the coppering, but tar when available was a quick fix for leaky craft. The Confederates used coal tar when available as well as a number of other concoctions to waterproof craft.

The site I got the photo from never called it a storage barge, I did. The picture was just showing how scowls and barged were being made over for better uses, including the addition of sheds. Interestingly, they say many hundreds of these barges were sunk when there usefulness ran out, as it was cheaper to sink it then to break it up.

I wonder if it is a donkey engine if it might run a pump? A floating large capacity pump might be a handy thing on the river front.

(I like to think it's a big still!)

CT

Hudsonduster 12-06-2011 07:05 PM

Haaaaay, that would explain the hose over the rooftop.....I like it.

ct ertz 12-06-2011 07:16 PM

Yes, that would be so cool to have a hose going right from the still to where the party is...oh, you meant the pump. Yes, that works to I guess.

Hudsonduster 12-06-2011 07:20 PM

Ohhh, you are soooo "River Defense Squadron"...

Miles Linnabery 12-06-2011 08:05 PM

Dear list folks:
Because of the ship in the background I assumed seaport not river port, However I agree its more likly an donkey steam thingy. God can't spell and grammor going to pot, Just wrap me in chains and deep six me
MILES

Hudsonduster 12-06-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery (Post 256693)
Dear list folks:
Because of the ship in the background I assumed seaport not river port, However I agree its more likly an donkey steam thingy. God can't spell and grammor going to pot, Just wrap me in chains and deep six me
MILES

Naaah. Ocean's getting too full as it is; better to stay around and keep contibutin' to the discussion, is what I think.

'Duster