PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Covered barge or floating storage shed.

Along with the snag barge, and the flat boat, I am making this storage barge. The one in the photo seems to have a still or something in it with fire wood stacked up against the wall. Mine is a bit more generic. I would guess that hundreds of these barges or similar ones dotted the river ways, before, during and after the Civil War. This will come in 1/250 scale as well as a more detailed 1/72 scale. I think the all would be a great addition to any waterfront diorama.
Attached Thumbnails
Covered barge or floating storage shed.-shapeimage_14.jpg   Covered barge or floating storage shed.-coverd-barg-post.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear CT:
I wonder if its not for heating up tar to be put onto the ships bottom hot before the copper was attached?
A thought,
MILES
Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM

An Excellent thought, Miles. That could well be, and a useful repair ship as well.
CT
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hm. Why would a freshwater vessel need coppering? NOT dismissing, I'm asking in the context of historical critical-comment.

Another possibility, based on the pic alone (where is this filed as a "Storage Barge? There's precious little storage space there!) is that this is a self-contained donkey boiler and engine. I just suggest this on the size and similarity to such self-contained units usually seen mounted on skids (and how you'd lash a "donkey barge" up to something you want to run with it is beyond my meager research experience).

'Duster
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Not sure about the coppering, but tar when available was a quick fix for leaky craft. The Confederates used coal tar when available as well as a number of other concoctions to waterproof craft.

The site I got the photo from never called it a storage barge, I did. The picture was just showing how scowls and barged were being made over for better uses, including the addition of sheds. Interestingly, they say many hundreds of these barges were sunk when there usefulness ran out, as it was cheaper to sink it then to break it up.

I wonder if it is a donkey engine if it might run a pump? A floating large capacity pump might be a handy thing on the river front.

(I like to think it's a big still!)

CT
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Haaaaay, that would explain the hose over the rooftop.....I like it.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Yes, that would be so cool to have a hose going right from the still to where the party is...oh, you meant the pump. Yes, that works to I guess.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Ohhh, you are soooo "River Defense Squadron"...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear list folks:
Because of the ship in the background I assumed seaport not river port, However I agree its more likly an donkey steam thingy. God can't spell and grammor going to pot, Just wrap me in chains and deep six me
MILES
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear list folks:
Because of the ship in the background I assumed seaport not river port, However I agree its more likly an donkey steam thingy. God can't spell and grammor going to pot, Just wrap me in chains and deep six me
MILES
Naaah. Ocean's getting too full as it is; better to stay around and keep contibutin' to the discussion, is what I think.

'Duster
Google Adsense