PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I've seen diagrams of these equine-powered boats before, but I don't recall where. Both the turntable-type and the hamster-wheel type. I believe they were mostly used for river traffic, but some coastal use, also. Sometimes my memory just isn't what it used to be ... I'm not even sure where to start on a search.

Food and water for the draft animals would greatly cut into storage space, so I would think these would be used for shorter hauls.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Progress. I am reworking the keel and rudder but I got the horse cut outs done and the inboard side of the deck houses, as well as the deck supports. The horses will just be 2d cut out placed in the houses.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Two horse power horse boat ferry.-horse-boat1post5.jpg   Two horse power horse boat ferry.-horse-boat1post6.jpg   Two horse power horse boat ferry.-horse-boat1post7.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Neat boat.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Horse engines were a common enough feature on farms over here from the 1780s. I have recorded a few for posterity. Initially of wooden construction and closely allied to water and windmills by the 1830s "portable" cast iron examples could be taken to the fields.

These ferries are an impressive example of this "primitive" technology.

D

D
Old 12-09-2011, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
George Washington had an animal engine on his farm in Mount Vernon, but I believe that he used oxen. They were also on the upper floor if I recall and were used to mill grain.
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Very cool model I think thats how my saturn is powered too.... wait a second that would be more power!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Some of the ferries used mules as well. The big trick was that the cast iron linkage finally became reliable and cheap, making such boats profitable. All of the details had been worked out on land in farm based equipmant, as already stated.

Like everything today, size matters, and tech is shrinking. Car manufactures have used that shrinking design to reinvent these old engine but have been able to use gerbils as an energy source, the be for mentioned Saturn being just one example.

CT
Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Based on the drawing in your initial post, I expected that the horses would be walking around on a circular track, driving a single shaft that turned both paddlewheels, so I was a bit confused when I saw your in-progress diagrams in your second post. Then I went back and read your first post a little closer. The belt type treadway design you're building is different from the drawing, but might be preferable since each paddle wheel was driven independently. If one horse was made to stop, it could turn on a dime. Cool

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 12-09-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Actually, they are walking on a turntable. The deck has been cut out in the houses to expose the turntable. The table rides on a shaft under the deck. So although the horses stay stationary, the large table moves. Although, I like the twin treadmill idea...
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Ah, yes. Now that I look at the cutaway drawing in your initial post I can see that the horse's feet are indeed below the deck, driving the turntable. I couldn't get past my initial visualization of a simple vertical shaft that the horses would be tethered to, which would revolve when they walked the circular trackway, and a set of gears below deck, redirecting the drive horizontally. You've set me straight. This is really going to be a unique model of an interesting type of boat. One that I was unaware of. It sure makes sense, though. Looking forward to your future posts.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 12-09-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Google Adsense