PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body

OK, gave up on other projects for now and I am continuing with my Polish Armored Car theme with a Wz.34. This car was actually sold as a half track but the Polish Army wanted something with better road handling and build the car accordingly. This small car has a wider body with sloped sides and the turret actually overhangs the body in a small way. If all goes well it will come in three colors, Plain gray, a horizontal airbrushed style como (1936-39), and the easily identifiable "Japaneses style" como (1934-36). I may also do a war prize with German and Croatian markings. This is a simplified model with basic faked under carriage and rather flat 2-d wheels but in 1/72 scale they should do. I may also do the more boxy olde style body as well, though both styles where used at the same time.

Any interest or comments?
Attached Thumbnails
1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz-new-model-post1.jpg   1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz-new-model-post2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Will be watching this one evolve with much interest Corey my friend.
There were also a couple of rarities; Wz 34's that remained halftracks, though those vehicles were in photographs frequently enough, but not often seen in other contexts.
Just an interesting variant.
The Wz 39 is also interesting, but again is reasonably rare.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM

I think if it requires little alteration to the main body I will do the half track as well. Looks like at least for a small scale car the switching of the track or wheels may be mostly cosmetic. If that's the case then I will include it as an option.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Here is the half track design with the new body style. The tracks are simply printed boxes with a layering option but will look good I think at 1/72 scale. I think that doing both the half track and the car in the same kit is doable.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz-new-model-post3.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Another great choice! I'm glad you're trying both the wheel and track versions, Corey. Is this one as small as the Ford?
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM

here is the side by side. Also note the photo. The Ford is quite a bit smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz-new-model-post4.jpg   1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz-new-model-post5.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
printed-box track units can look quite good, if the graphics are good; just look at Best's tracked-vehicle designs. I sure don't miss building up a multi-part unit when I build one, and their artwork cis sufficiently 3-D for my tastes. And I'm positive that Corey can do just as well.

Wyvern
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM

It would seem the difference in sizes between the Ford and the Wz 34 is about 30%.

Corey, just a small question my friend.
In your drawing of the halftrack Wz 34 you show upturned tracks, somewhat similar to the Kegresse-derived M3 Halftrack of the US. This would correspond roughly to the Kegresse "D" pattern of tracks, which was Licence-Produced in the USA.
In the photo you show two Wz 34 halftracks, one of which, nearest the camera, is equipped with Kegresse "C" pattern tracks (Spoked Driver and Idler), and the other, to the Ford's left, is equipped with Kegresse "B" (Solid Driver and Idler) pattern tracks. Neither set of tracks appear to have upturns to them, both seem to be driver and idler wheel flat to the ground, in the same manner as the Kegresse originals, even though the tracks in the photo are most likely License-Produced by the Poles themselves.
So, my question is, where did the upturned "D" pattern tracks arise from with the Wz 34 vehicles?

I'm not trying to nit pick or be critical of your design, Corey my friend, I'm just extremely curious about the tracks, because it would be the first time I've ever seen Kegresse "D" pattern tracks outside US employ during that era.

Kegresse derived halftrack vehicles have always interested me greatly, precisely because they are the most commonly seen halftracks apart from the German vehicles.

I am certainly very glad indeed a halftrack option will be included in the Wz 34 armoured Car kit.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM

You are quite correct that the tracks used where a Citroen-Kegresse style purchased from France. The drawing I was using seems more stylized then real, as well as several other line drawings I have. Every actual picture I have shows the tracks with less up turn. Some are shown flat. I will correct the issure as soon as I decide on which actual photo to use. Here are a few. Most are of the earlier body style, but note some seem flat and others seem slightly upturned. None, however are as upturned as I show in the model. An oversight on my part.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz28_3.jpg   1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-ck-m23.jpg   1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz28_130.jpg   1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body-wz28_new.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM

I see what you mean, Corey my friend.
To my eyes the differences seem to be two.
A: Whether the tracks themselves are rubber or solid-and-cleated.
B: It appears that in some cases the Driver and Idler wheels fitted were of smaller diameter, when rubber tracks were employed.

Both differences would contribute to the upturn, in as much as:
The rubber track on standard diameter Driver and Idler (or Sprocket and Idler) would necessarily compress the suspension, but thus would also render it less compliant with the terrain it was crossing, thus giving a harsher ride.
Fitting smaller diameter Sprocket and Idler wheels would relieve the worst of the suspension compression, but thus account for the upturn.
(Which was why I thought I was seeing "D" pattern-derived Kegresse track units.)

It is easy to see how various line drawings would allow the observer to deduce incorrectly, as I did.

I honestly had not thought such an intricate discussion on track units would evolve.

Whichever you decide will make a fine model: I am certain of that, Corey my friend.
It was just extremely interesting to me to see what I'd not seen before with the Polish Kegresse-derived vehicles. I was less observant than I'd thought.

Last edited by Uyraell; 05-01-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Google Adsense